• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there a distinct difference in a proof Buffalo.

7 posts in this topic

Here I go again. I bought a 1937 Buffalo today and I think it looks like a proof coin. can somebody just tell me I'm crazy so I'll get off it.

Here's the link to the coins I bought today. Look at that nickel and tell me it dosn't look like a proof.

55931728_o.jpg

55931734_o.jpg

Here I go again. I bought a 1937 Buffalo today and I think it looks like a proof coin. can somebody just tell me I'm crazy so I'll get off it.

Here's the link to the coins I bought today. Look at that nickel and tell me it dosn't look like a proof.

Have you seen the coin in person yet? If not, you shouldn't rely upon an image. And if you have seen it in hand, you should be able to determine its status quite easily.

Yes! I actually own it, and most older proofs I've seen have been pictures so I dont have much to compare it too, But it dosn't have a mirror finish so chances are PCGS got it right as a MS coin.

The proofs of 1937 are "brilliant" proofs -- by that it is meant the surfaces are almost mirror-like. Your coin appears to have some reflectivity but it also looks like it has cartwheel luster in the fields, a clue that it is likely a business strike.

The strikes of the proof buffalo nickels -- particularly the date, lettering and edge -- all have very squared-off features due to the higher-than-normal striking pressure used in minting the proof coin. Your coin's date (and FIVE CENTS) seems a touch weak and not square where it meets the rest of the devices, a clue that it is likely a business strike.

Brilliant proof buffalo nickels have a very distinctive look to them, and once you've seen even a handfull of the brilliant proofs, distinguising them from business strikes can be done from a glance. As Mark said, it should be obvious in-hand.

All IMHO...Mike

[edited to correct inaccuracy -- proof buffalo nickels weren't struck multiple times as I had originally posted, but rather struck once with higher-than-normal striking pressure]

The subject coin does not look like a proof to me. Proof buffalos have pinpoint detail, and I wouldn't describe their surfaces are mirrored, but rather "reflective". It's hard to explain, but as others have mentioned, once you've seen a few genuine proofs, you almost can't mistake them for business strike coins.

By the way, not long ago, I bought an altered buffalo made to look like a proof. Several experts thought it was an awfully good job, but the detail just doesn't meet the standards of a genuine proof. It's an excellent reference coin, though.