• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another one....I started to feel like I got a target on my forehead..

16 posts in this topic

Here's another one I just received today - I paid a little over $90.00 for it. I was feeling pretty good about it - liking the detail, with the exception of the black line on the back.... and then I looked at my own pics and started getting a better look at my coin. Is it worth being conserved? graded? Or, is it a waste of time and $$$?

1866049-1936b.jpg.0eaf29414996701e0a8cd2bec3f7ad1d.jpg

Is it worth being conserved? graded? Or, is it a waste of time and $$$?

I don't feel it's worth the expense. For what you would have in it, you could probably find one already graded that you like better. Ebay is a gamble when buying raw coins. Come to thinking about it, everything is a gamble on Ebay smirk.gif

Take my advice and do not buy any coin with the intent of conservation until you are expert within a niche and know more than nearly anyone else about the issue. Conservation is not a miracle cure and the costs of it can far outweigh any benefits. This commem can be had with significantly more eye appeal for a few dollars more than you paid.

You knew the black line was there before you bought it? Were you planning on conserving the coin plus the $90? If so you paid too much. A lot of times with ebay our speed of bidding occurs before we let our brain work. We have all(most of us anyway) made ebay mistakes, but the best advice for using ebay is 1) check feedback and % of seller, 2) Check for 100% return policy, 3) take pics offered by seller and enlarge and study the coin, 4) never bid on something you find with less than a few minutes til closing, 5) If you have any doubts-DON'T BID

Those 5 steps will prevent most dumb bids on ebay. I am sure there are several more(including DON'T bid on Ebay), but these are some that I use for each bid I consider. Again, good luck.

In my early days a made a few costly mistakes buying raw coins on ebay. More recently, I have done fairly well buying raw on the bay. That is to say everything I have purchased recently has slabbed when I have sent it in.

The change in my thinking was simply to avoid any coin for any reason. Be extremely picky. If there is any reason to avoid a coin then simply avoid it. The added benefit is that you will have more time and money to spend searching for problem-free coins.

Oh, and I almost forgot, finding a friend to get a second opinion on the coin is also a good idea. I think pretty much everyone will respond to questions about purchasing specific coins on ebay or elsewhere. Of course, “thank you’s” are always in order as I have always appreciated the free advice that I have received from the good folks here thumbsup2.gif.

Well to be honest I Just don't know..The only spot I can see is the Rev under the R in Dollar...

I didn't see it before I sent it in for conservation...It had really ugly black spot in that area and I thought that since NCS was new I would give them a shot at removing it....

This may have been under it.. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Why would somebody file a rim?

For the silver. File a little bit off of a number of coins and you soon have enough to redeem for the silver value.

This used to be quite common in the old days when our coins were still made of gold and silver.

John

Why would somebody file a rim?

For the silver. File a little bit off of a number of coins and you soon have enough to redeem for the silver value.

This used to be quite common in the old days when our coins were still made of gold and silver.

John

I was just reading last night in Bust Half Fever that this is the reason that our early half dollars had “50 Cents or Half a Dollar” on the rim as opposed to the obverse or reverse. Any rim filing could be easily detected.

That's right. It's the reason why the mint used lettering and then reeding around the rims of coins, so that any filing would be more easily detected.

John

Sometimes rim filing is also done to hide or lessen a rim nick or bump. 19th century collectors would sometimes file off wire rims or even cuds. (I have seen early cents of varieties that come with obvious cuds where a collector long ago filed/shaved away the cud to get rid of the "defect".) The 19th century mint would also sometimes file the wire rims off of proof coins before they sent them out.