• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star Designation

11 posts in this topic

i know that a star designates superior eye appeal but what does that entail? i mean i've seen battle creek coins that look fairly ugly get a star designation, and is it worth it to reholder a coin to get a star designation?

"ugly" is subjective, and the coin may have turned darker in the holder. Personally, I have one 1st generation NGC slabbed Morgan with them right now getting a 'designation review'. The slab was looking rough, and a new slab was 5 bucks. For an additional 5 bucks, i'll see if they like the rainbow crescent enough to give it a star, and it gets re-slabbed to boot! To get a star, i would imagine that the consensus graders have to agree that it deserves it, much like a numerical grade.

i mean the morgan i have is absolutely georgous. the reverse is completely toned out with a red/orange and it's starting to get some blue to it. so what would the star designation do value wise? i mean i dont think i'd ever sell it i just want a neat toned coin smile.gif

2 notes...

First off the BC coins were loose when getting the * in my opinion.

2nd The star does not make too much of a difference to the knowable collector. You know the coin is pretty, why does it need a star? Market the coin right and it will bring good money, star or not.

If you are looking at a coin that has a rather large premium for PCGS over NGC, the NGC star can balance that out pretty well. If there is a large jump in price up to the next grade, the star should bring extra money.

NGC STAR coins are easier to sell at full value or above without much effort. A rainbow Morgan with a STAR can bring 25-50% more than the same coin without it. This designation has never been consistently applied, so the discerning collector must be careful that the coin lives up to its STAR, but the overall market doesn't care as long as it's on the holder.

In my experience it appears that coins need terrific luster to obtain the star designation from NGC unless they are one sided PL/DMPL business strikes or CAM/UCAM proofs. Also, as far as I understand it, part of the agreement with the Battle Creek Hoard was that all slabbed and graded coins would have the star designation given to them, though I could be wrong on that front.

In my experience it appears that coins need terrific luster to obtain the star designation from NGC unless they are one sided PL/DMPL business strikes or CAM/UCAM proofs. Also, as far as I understand it, part of the agreement with the Battle Creek Hoard was that all slabbed and graded coins would have the star designation given to them, though I could be wrong on that front.

RE: The Battle Creek hoard, I have heard this as well and believe that it is correct

My understanding (although I may be wrong) is that there was some sort of a financial incentive for NGC to give the star for the BC coins. Out of the ~1,400 BC coins I would guess that maybe 600 didn't deserve the star, 200 were borderline, and 600 deserved the star.