• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nomenclature W/ Silver Content Chart

9 posts in this topic

Silver Standard Silver Content

Fine silver 1*..............99.9%

Britannia silver............95.84%

Mexican silver............95%

Sterling silver.............92.5%

French silver..............80-95%

Coin silver..................90%

European silver...........80-83%

Electrum 2 *...............40-60%

"German silver" 3*........0%

1*-Used primarily in ingots and investment-grade coins, is sometimes made into holloware

2*-Electrum is an alloy of silver and gold found in nature. It is somewhat like "white gold" today

3*-German silver has no silver content -- it is made of copper, nickel, and sometimes zinc and is often called "nickel silver."

Note: If you notice any errors please refine.

Hey WJ, is "Troy" a type of silver, or just the measurement term?

Here you go Bobby hi.gif

Troy (?), n. Troy weight. Troy weight, the weight which gold and silver, jewels, and the like, are weighed. It was so named from Troyes, in France, where it was first adopted in Europe. The troy ounce is supposed to have been brought from Cairo during the crusades. In this weight the pound is divided into 12 ounces, the ounce into 20 pennyweights, and the pennyweight into 24 grains; hence, the troy ounce contains 480 grains, and the troy pound contains 5760 grains.

Hey WJ, is "Troy" a type of silver, or just the measurement term?

I've never heard the term "Troy" used to define a type of silver or silver content as a base metal, I've only seen it used to determine weight/mass of precious metals.

Note: Troy weight originates from what was called the troy system of mass. Dating back to before the time of William the Conqueror, the name comes from the city of Troyes in France, an important trading city in the Middle Ages.

Question is still open yet.

Thanks rrantique

Your Welcome there Bobby and Woody. I'll catch you guys later as I am off to Lake Fork for the 4th of July annual trip. Hope everyone on the Forum has a Safe and Pleasant "Fire cracker Day". May you all find a hidden Gem. hi.gifgrin.gif1864643-poofII.gif

1864643-poofII.gif.a5267bbe2c9d3eaeb5e491c85261aecf.gif