• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Half Cent book...

2 posts in this topic

...is a good one that talks about contemporary issues about the coin, not just it's technical aspects, varieties, etc. I'd like to see a reference that actually has a few paragraphs or more talking about why it was useful, prices of the time, contemporary comments, why it was so disdained around 1811, etc. My friend, who has the Breen Half Cent book, says that it really doesn't go into any contemporary discussion. As for my current resources, I have the usual suspects: Red Book, Breen Encyclopedia of U.S. Coins, Coin World Almanac, Comprehensive Encyclopedia of U.S. Coins, PCGS Guide, and Coin World articles. There's a lack of much information on these little guys beyond the technical aspects. I did find a few articles in newspaper archives talking about the certain people wanting to revive the denomination 50 years after it died, though. Any other recommendations?

There are no half cent books that discuss what you are looking for. The Breen book comes closest and it doesn't have much if any on what you are looking for. You might find a little bit in Fractional Money. Contemporary newspapers, diaries, and business acount books would probably be your best bet. (Newspapers because they may discuss prices, and/or shortages. Diaries for comments on purchases made. Business account books for sales records and purchases.)