• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slab Tampering

20 posts in this topic

Hello,

I just received a slabbed coin I bough on EBAY.

I was graded proof 69 Ultra Cameo.

There is eaither a speck of dust in the slab, a defect in the slab.or horrors,a defect in the coin. It is hard to tell even under magnification.

There is no way this coin is a 69 if the defect is in the coin.

Is there a way a slab could have been opened and resealed so a coin could be switched without leaving obvoius signs?

Thanks

Jon

Hello,

There is eaither a speck of dust in the slab, a defect in the slab.or horrors,a defect in the coin. It is hard to tell even under magnification.

Is there a way a slab could have been opened and resealed so a coin could be switched without leaving obvoius signs?

Thanks

Jon

Conder101 told me that there are zero instances of any modern tampered PCGS reported.(except for the rattlers)

So it's very unlikely the slab is tampered . This is what I was told with my PCGS slab: "There are very few fakes IN modern slabs. Other than the first generation Rattler slabs, there are ZERO cases of a fake modern PCGS slab known. But with fake ANACS slabs starting to come from China how much longer will that be true?

"

But this is with PCGS slabs. I'm not sure about NGC or other companies.

Without knowing who slabbed it, we can't really answer your question.If it's an NGC, PCGS,ICG, or ANACS slab you're pretty safe. If it's by one of the other alphabet soup grading companies (SGS, PGCS,NGS et al) it could go either way. Post a pic! There's alot of people here willing to help you out. PCGS and NGC offer grade guarantees, so if it's in one of their slabs, they'll stand behind it. I just sent 7 proof SAEs into PCGS due to spotting. I'll update my other thread also, but they just offered to buy back 5 of the 7 because they couldn't do anything for them.

To reiterate:

1. Need grading company

2. Pics would be nice.

Its NGC.

Here is a PIC.

Look below the chin.

Is it possible some one could take a genuine slab, open it and switch coins with out showing obvious signs of the slab being opened and resealed?

At any rate if its a mark in the slab will NGC put this in a new slab for me as it does not make a nice presentation.

Hello,

Thanks

Jon

Hi Jon and welcome. I'm a bit confused by your comments. If it's " hard to tell even under magnification" and it might be "a speck of dust in the slab", how can it follow that "There is no way this coin is a 69 if the defect is in the coin"? Even if the defect is on the coin, if it's that small/unobtrusive, it sounds s if the coin could still be a 69.

Hello,

Thanks

Jon

Hi Jon and welcome. I'm a bit confused by your comments. If it's " hard to tell even under magnification" and it might be "a speck of dust in the slab", how can it follow that "There is no way this coin is a 69 if the defect is in the coin"? Even if the defect is on the coin, if it's that small/unobtrusive, it sounds s if the coin could still be a 69.
Hi and welcome...here is your coin..I straightened and cropped it for you...Are you speaking of the bit under the chin?

2784842740011582451gGyyLO_fs.jpg

I agree with all here. Looks like maybe a particle from the slab. Unless this slab has noticiable damage to it, I think your coins is just fine. Welcome to the forum! hi.gif

I've been misquoted. I said there a zero reports of a FAKE PCGS slab other than the Rattlers. There have been attempts at slab tampering by switching coins but the slabs have shown clear evidence of the tampering (With the exception of a couple of cases where the slab missed the sonic welder.)

I dont know! looks like a carbon spot to me, better send it back, but through NCS first. Get that baby cleaned up and ready for the long haul. In a couple of years you'll have a big carbon spot for a coin, "IMHO." Welcome.

On 6/27/2007 at 1:52 AM, stinkycheese1 said:

Conder101 told me that there are zero instances of any modern tampered PCGS reported.(except for the rattlers)

So it's very unlikely the slab is tampered . This is what I was told with my PCGS slab: "There are very few fakes IN modern slabs. Other than the first generation Rattler slabs, there are ZERO cases of a fake modern PCGS slab known. But with fake ANACS slabs starting to come from China how much longer will that be true?

"

But this is with PCGS slabs. I'm not sure about NGC or other companies.

I bought some buffalo nickel from china factory spot on even defects not. I do had to see for myself

Brian, did you see up above that I explained I had been misquoted and that there were no modern FAKE PCGS slabs known.  And also note that those statements were from mid 2007.  The first fake PCGS slabs (other than the fake rattlers) started showing up in early 2008.  (The first fake ANACS slabs appeared in March 2007, the first NGC around Aug or Sept 2007.  ANACS changed their slabs in Sept 2007 and NGC admitted there were fake slabs around Feb of 2008.)