• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Don't you hate it when you lose out on a coin?

9 posts in this topic

I have to confess, I become quite depressed. I'm afraid I'm actually an adult, well...maybe it's good to feel such emotion, but it irks me to no end.

What spurs me to write this is that one dealer had a coin I was interested in. Another dealer who I also like, and am developing a relationship with was obtaining a similar coin, so I waited until he got it, and it just wasn't for me. So I went back to the first dealer and the coin I was interested in was already sold, so I went again toe this second dealer who had another piece of great interest to me and I emailed him about it and...........boohoo....it was SOLD!!!!

Lordy lordy lordy lordy lordy

Usually, missing out doesn't bother me, since there are an awful lot of coins in the world. But once in awhile, foolishness on my part does lead to missing out one one. Usually, it's a coin with some esoteric aspect that doesn't come around often - a particular variety, die-state or toning pattern, for example. Most often, when I miss out, it's because I let the cost of the coin stand in the way, but I have learned that there are some coins for which cost considerations are pretty much meaningless.

I had the same thing happen to me with girls back in my High School days. I could have asked the first girl out that I liked that very morning when I saw her, but no.

Like a cow sticking their head through the fence thinking they'd get some greener grass on the other side, I waited until later in the day when I knew I'd run into this second girl that I liked as well.

By the time I did get to see that second girl, she had already accepted a dance date and by the time I got back to the first girl, she too had been asked and accepted her date as well.

I think at that moment you could actually hear my ego deflating.

What you thought was a good plan quickly turned into a disaster. I felt like making a sign for myself and taping it to my back and walking around..."Kick Me"

"What's your sign?"

So, I guess everything is relative, whether it's girls, coins or even dogs.

Sometimes your philosophy or karma leads you astray and you only find out after it's way to late to do anything about your actions.

I get a little upset sometimes when I lose out on a coin I want also. But then, I try to remind myself of the old say "You can't miss what you never had".

Most of the time losing out on a coin doesn't bother me. What bothers me is when I lose out because I didn't pay attention to ending time, bid less than I should have or just hesitated to make the deal.

i know exactly what you mean mike but....

next time you got to grab it first and/or be persistant

but as many have said it was not meant to be and as always something else is coming around the bend that is not only a better opportunity and value but a more scarcer eye appealling coin to boot cloud9.gif

it is getting harder to snag the good ones as there is great flamed.gif, delicious and rabid 893whatthe.gif demand for coins with a fundemential reason to rise in demand cool.gif

I get a little upset sometimes when I lose out on a coin I want also. But then, I try to remind myself of the old say "You can't miss what you never had".

You know reading this statement reminds me of a quote by the late Freddie Prinze ( you know, "Chico" from "Chico and the Man")(now I feel old):

The Man: "you know Chico? There are more fish in the sea"

without a hesitation:

Chico: "Yeah... I know, but they are so clammy when you kiss them goodnight..."