• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lincoln Cent Skeleton *3D clip*

8 posts in this topic

3D Skeleton of Lincoln Cent

You will need ActiveX to view 3D

Penny skeleton.

This is a very clever sample. It's a known fact that if you leave a post-1982 penny in strong acid (e.g. muriatic acid) long enough, the zinc core will be dissolved away leaving just the copper cladding. (name) took this one step further by first sanding the penny, removing the copper cladding only from the raised areas. Then when the zinc was dissolved away, the result was an incredibly finely detailed stencil. It's quite delicate: You can see in the rotation video that it flutters a bit from the breeze created by the cooling fans of the fiber optic illuminators used to light it.

Now, if only someone could figure out how to dissolve only the copper, leaving the solid zinc core in place!

Credit:

http://www.theodoregray.com/

You don't need Active/X. It is a QuickTime video that will show you the entire image.

I want to know what happened to the obverse?

Scott hi.gif

Thanks Chad. I wasn't able to view the video. My work pc is on a network and some things are protected.

slacking off again eh? 893naughty-thumb.gif

smile.gif

Uh ohh, Got caught!! 27_laughing.gif I get tired of sitting behind this thing sometimes. yeahok.gif