• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Was this a decent deal for a Wide Rim SBA??

23 posts in this topic

The 1979P SBA had two types. The type 1 has a narrow rim and the date is further away. The type 2 is a wider rim that makes it closer to the date. The basic proof set includes 6 coins. There are several important varieties that can also be collected. In the circulated set, the 1979 P "Near Date" also commonly known as the "Wide Rim" is rather scarce(not true). In the proof set, the main varieties are the 1979 Type I and Type II mintmarks and the 1981 Type I and Type II mintmarks. One is a blobbed "S" and the other is a clear "S". Here is a link also that explains the different varieties.

SBA

Bobby,

My computer is not cooperating this morning, couldn't connect to the link. Here are the Numismedia Values for a wide rim.

62 $18.40

63 $33.75

64 $74.40

65 $120.00

66 $300.00

67 $1,030.00

Thanks Rey, this is suppose to be a business strike, so we'll see what it grades. I needed one for my SBA set. Now all I need are the 79s' & 81s' type two proofs. Those may be harder to find.

I don't know, but the rim looks kind of thin on the top half. Would that be considered an aberration one might expect to find on a wide rim?

Chris

Cruddy pics - I'm not sure whether the upper-left coin is a wide-rim. Much more space under the 1 than uner the 1 on the the upper-right coin, which is definitely a wide-rim.

I don't think the upper left one is wide rim, and I don't think the top two are UNC. If you get either of the bottom two, you got a pretty good deal, but it doesn't look to me like either of them are worth certifying either. They will most likely grade MS-63. Notice he doesn't advertise them as uncirculated, so you might be getting sliders. I hope I'm wrong, and I hope you get a great coin.

I'm not really concerned with it grading exceptionally high as I am hoping at least MS63 condition for my album that I'll be putting these in. I noticed the pics were taken at an angle, so I was thinking this is why the rims at top weren't looking wide. They do look wider at the date than the normal narrow rim. I also didn't think they would be uncirculated, just hoping they are. We'll see I guess when I get it. thanks ya'll!

I didn't even want to try to grade those from the pics.

The key to determining if a coin's a wide rim is to try and "fit" the 1 sideways between the base of the 1 and the rim. If you think it could maybe fit, it's narrow. If there's no chance at all, it's wide.

I wouldn't count on an unc. from the way the auction reads, but I still think it's an okay deal. $7 includes shipping--sure.

I've found them in bank rolls at the rate of one about every two years. So they're not like wheat pennies.

Ok, I got this in-hand. This is the one I got for $7.51. Was it worth it? What do you think it grades? Thanks for any help! BTW, looks WideRim to me.

1979SBAWideRimObv.jpg

1979SBAWideRimRev.jpg

Bobby,

I agree that it is a wide rim, but I am at a loss as to pinpointing a grade. I think it was definitely a decent deal. thumbsup2.gif

Rey

Nice pick up, Bobby. I don't think it was circulated, just tossed around a little bit could go 60-61.

Well that's starting to sound a little better. My first impression of AU was due to the many contact marks. Photograde and ANA describe there to be wear on high points in AU that I'm not seeing. MS60 just shows to have blemishes and contacts which are closer to the appearance of the coin. But with so many contacts, was thinking it would still fall back to AU. Hopefully I'll get some more help on it. Thanks Richard!

I didn't even want to try to grade those from the pics.

The key to determining if a coin's a wide rim is to try and "fit" the 1 sideways between the base of the 1 and the rim. If you think it could maybe fit, it's narrow. If there's no chance at all, it's wide.

I find it easier to compare the 1979 P to any SBA made in 1980's

All the 1980 + were made with the "wide rim".

Once you have seen a few it becomes easier to tell.

I manage a gas station and I have found three "Wide Rims"

A teller at my bank told me her son started collecting coins so Wednesday I gave her my best smile.gif SBA wide rim and a couple of Indian head cents.

Joe