• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

need help identifying a 1789 copper foreign coin

2 posts in this topic

Hello! I have had this coin, since the mid 80's. I purchased it, at the New Orleans, A.N.A convention, from one of the Dealers. It was labeled Neuchatel, but they were not sure if that was correct? For $14.00, and my wife being Swiss, I

bought it. But, I have yet to find it's identity? A Key word"CVIQVE and SVVM on the same side with date. Other side it has F.G.BOR.REX.PR.SUP.NOVIC. VAL

It does appear to be from the canton of Neuchatel. Coins issued in 1789 were the 1/2 and 1 kreuzer coins as well as the 1/2 batzen (2 kreuzer) coin. Diameters of the coins would be 15, 18 and 22 millimeters respectively. All were made of low grade silver and copper alloy (billon) and may appear copper with heavy wear. Collector value of a coin depends on date, mint mark (if any), number minted and condition of a coin, including amount of wear, any dents, scratches or cleaning. The 1789 1 kreuzer is more scarce than the other two. You might also try a library for a copy of the Standard Catalog of World Coins for pictures, values and lots more interesting info.