• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WW2 Green Ration Book Leather Wallet

18 posts in this topic

I recently acquired a Green Ration Stamp Book Leather Wallet

It has loose stiching along the bottom seam of the inside pocket.

Has anyone seen this particular wallet before or maybe one like it? Can anyone appraise this or tell me how collectable it truly is? Either way I am keeping it. I showed it to a collector buddy of mine and he offered $50.00, but theres no way.

th.8707b62062.jpg

0c07999e62.jpg

th.4e38a9731c.jpg

I own one similar, got it for about $10, and the ration booklet, maybe $10-$12 on a good day. I would have taken the $50 he offered.

Were there any tokens in the wallet?

Wallets came in all shapes, sizes, brands, etc. They were issued by many different firms. A common wallet will be pretty cheap, but if this one is rare, it could be worth more. Is there a wallet collector's forum?

No, I wasn't paying any attention to the auction, I have a collection of the tokens as well. I bought a wallet (a black one) and got a red MM. I'm only missing the MV. The last one I saw went for $175!

I talked to Conder101 about it a while ago, and there used to be only 50 kown, until someone had a small hoard of them (if I remember correctly). I think there are still less than 250 known though.

I might have an extra XC if you're interested.

I would absolutly be interested. I am collecting WW2 coins and tokens. World wide. Nazi, Japan, Italy, CCCP, Hungary, etc. Maybe we can trade, I got some mercs that I can trade up. I need a 45-D Cent, if you got one of them.

I read Condors post about the MVs. really interesting

Wallets for holding the ration books were never an "official" item but they became a very popular giveaway it for advertising purposes by banks, businesses and others. (like todays pens and key chains) I would not be surprised if there are some out there that were distributed by political candidates for office (Elect John Joe and he'll see you get more rations in your wallet.)

As such there are probably hundreds if not thousands of varieties.

I'm not sure but I suspect this may have been a giveaway from a publisher or more likely a bookstore DUR BOOKS with the word play referring to rationing being for the "Dur-ration" of the war.

Found this on the MV

The last token issued, the red MV, is more than a million times rarer than any of the others, which were issued in the billions. The OPA send out only 800 MVs, and then were ordered to stop because the war ended. Any remaining MVs were destroyed. Recently, two MVs sold for $390 apiece at auction! Assembling a complete set of OPA tokens is like putting together a necklace composed of the Hope Diamond and 29 glass duplicates

Is there anything else someone can think of collection numismatic-wise associated with ww2? I am working on a complete set of Nazi Coinage, which is hard because they had around 7 different denominations and 7 different mints over 12 years which makes close to 600 different coins.

Have you done all the changes in cents and nickels because of WWII?

Then there's the paper money, N. Africa notes, HAWAII notes, and of course invasion notes.

Changes? like the 1942 non-silver issue nickels? No I haven't started tackling all that yet...I should though, just make room for it, good idea. a collegue of mine has a 1942-S nonsilver issue nickel I think he might give me to aid my collection.