• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are you more likely to buy a coin offered for sale on the forum or on eBay?

18 posts in this topic

I find myself less willing these days to spend time buying coins on eBay if I can find one I want for sale on these forums (NGC or PCGS). I'm sometimes willing to pay a little more than I might on eBay just to (a) avoid the hassle of bidding and (b) buy from a forum member I "know" and respect.

As a small seller, I see some benefits to at least offering the coins here first at my asking price. I avoid all fees, except (possibly) paypal. I can get the amount I ask for, so it's basically a "buy it now or best offer" situation here. On the other hand, I don't have the eBay feedback system to contend with (or to gain advice from), and there's no buyer/seller protection here except for the fact that if you violate someone, you'll more than likely get lynched by the other collectors and become a pariah. Frankly, unless you're just a big volume seller, I see no reason at all to sell exclusively on eBay - it makes more sense to at least offer the coin here first for a week or so before moving to eBay.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

I always check out our marketplace here first to see if anyone is selling something I like. I will deal with someone on the forum first unless the cost is considerable cheaper to get on ebay. I have seen some raw coins offered on the forum using PCGS values guide as asking prices, and this does make me sway to ebay in these circumstances. Otherwise, I trust buying from the members of the board whenever possible.

Personally, I've developed a very strong dislike for eBay. Their feedback system $uck$. Oh yes, I continue to remain in contact with those sellers whom are fair and I've learned to trust, but I've grown tired of the majority. Although I don't sell too often, I would much rather give our fellow members the first shot at anything I may want to let go. I've made purchases from other members, here, and they have always been fair. They make a little and I benefit a little. Accordingly, I would do the same for them and the rest of the gang.

Chris

I have purchased from a few forum members with 100 % satisfaction however I have never sold anything on this forum. And while I know ebay has its fault, it is the most practical venue for me to sell my items. Occasionally I will offer to dealers and sometimes with success. I have gotten twice on ebay what I was offered on this forum and with full honest disclosure.

IMO…Please don’t take me wrong, I’m not complaining, nor do I want to discourage anyone from participating, but I believe this forum offers far more opportunities for buyers than sellers.

In addition I do not think the Money Market Thread is the best source for optimum sales results.

I look at is as more of a club benefit for modest trading amongst members.

It is rare for me to sell items on ebay these days and I typically will offer coinage either on the BST or through direct sale to particular members. I find it easy and convenient.

I am a coin slut 27_laughing.gif

and i look all over the place for coins i love to find a raw coin on ebay and chase it down..

as for this site i still have not seen anything for sale i am after "Where are all the shield nickels" crazy.gif

I like the anonimity of selling on eBay and giveing the World the chance to bid in my coins (or is it that i dont have anything good enough to sell hear ?) 27_laughing.gif

Happy hunting 893applaud-thumb.gif

Before I'd buy a coin on eBay I'd simply burn the banknotes. Same ultimate result from my standpoint, most likely, except that at least this way I'd know that no ripoff artist got my money. I might buy from someone on here, because there are a couple of levels on which to feel pretty confident. But I really prefer to buy things face to face in general, just my natural bent.

(I really ought not to have to add that obviously not everyone selling coins on eBay is a ripoff artist, but net.life has taught me that without such disclaimers, someone will jump in and find a reason to take offense, and then you have Yet Another Needless *Spoon*storm. So stipulated. However, there are enough ripoff artists there that I just dismiss eBay as a coin venue, kit and kaboodle. It's the same logic by which I wouldn't go to New York City. Sure, there are lots of cool things, great people and such. There are also entirely too many muggings, and I can't realistically take a pistol there with me, therefore whatever else is great about NYC will just have to get along without me. Buying coins on eBay is in that category of 'not worth the risk'--along with riding motorcycles and visiting west Africa.)

I don't want to be pinned down here because I just purchased my yearly allotment on Fleabay. But i only purchase coins from one individual i have been buying from for over 5 years now. I would certainly rather purchase coins from forum members than on the bay. And when I am ready to buy again that is where I'll shop. hi.gif1858415-hubie.gif

1858415-hubie.gif.bfcc87c61ef8edd9535040b55b9cfcf9.gif

If the offers are simultaneous I would choose the forum every time. I have been very pleased with my transactions on both forums. Fair prices and great customer service which are both very important to me smile.gif My buying habits have been steadily moving to the boards over the bay in the last 6 months or so. cool.gif

If I know the board member that I am potentially buying from (that is, they are active on the boards and I respect them), then I feel far more comfortable dealing with people here. Likewise, if I have had a good transaction with someone on ebay, I would be likely to do business with them again. However, there are people on the boards that I have never seen before. In my opinion it is just as much a game of chance with these people as it is on ebay. Therefore, neither system is perfect and both have their potential drawbacks. Likewise, you can't entirely rule out a system just because there are a few bad apples. Then you would have to go live in the wilderness and be a hermit.

It depends. If there's a common coin I want, and the price is competitive, I will normally buy from the forum. But if it's a rare coin, and the prices are out of whack, I will buy the cheaper coin.

If I can find the coin from a board member, I would rather buy from the boards. I also try to offer my coins on the forum before I offer them on Ebay.

I have purchased and sold only a few coins in both manners. For me, I would always display any coin I wanted to sell on here first, mainly out of respect and courtesy to fellow members plus knowing that for the most part the viewers are true collectors/dealers/investors or otherwise just individuals with a true interest in coins. I would much rather have someone from these forums have an opportunity first. I have only sold on Ebay a few times and that was for mostly some odds and ends, mainly foreign, since it is a broader audience.

I have been nothing but pleased with the coins that I have purchased from other members on here. Honest, straight forward and upfront.

Rey

I find myself less willing these days to spend time buying coins on eBay if I can find one I want for sale on these forums (NGC or PCGS). I'm sometimes willing to pay a little more than I might on eBay just to (a) avoid the hassle of bidding and (b) buy from a forum member I "know" and respect.

As a small seller, I see some benefits to at least offering the coins here first at my asking price. I avoid all fees, except (possibly) paypal. I can get the amount I ask for, so it's basically a "buy it now or best offer" situation here. On the other hand, I don't have the eBay feedback system to contend with (or to gain advice from), and there's no buyer/seller protection here except for the fact that if you violate someone, you'll more than likely get lynched by the other collectors and become a pariah. Frankly, unless you're just a big volume seller, I see no reason at all to sell exclusively on eBay - it makes more sense to at least offer the coin here first for a week or so before moving to eBay.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

i agree and great post by the way thumbsup2.gif

start to offer on here first 893applaud-thumb.gif

Easily the forum. I'd prefer literally 20 to 1 to do business on the forum than on eBay. It's like the difference between doing grocery shopping at a flea market vs. grocery shopping at the grocery store.

Easily the forum. I'd prefer literally 20 to 1 to do business on the forum than on eBay. It's like the difference between doing grocery shopping at a flea market vs. grocery shopping at the grocery store.

....................and James is one of my favorite member/seller/honest/straightforward/fair-minded/reasonable kind of guys!

Chris