• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's up with this Sac dollar? (couple of pics)

7 posts in this topic

I was looking thru my uncirculated sacs this evening and noticed this 200o doing some strange kind of coloring. I took some different angle to try to show it better. This coin has all natural luster that is not visible in the pics, mainly because I was emphasizing on the color. It has been in an airtight the last couple years. I have a few others in airtights, same storage location, and all of them look fine. No coloring going on. Has anyone seen this before? Thanks! I forgot to add that the coloring is a violet and deep purple.

sacobv1.jpg

sacobv2.jpg

sacobv3.jpg

sacrev.jpg

I see nothing unusual. There might have been something on the coin when you put it in the airtite. Sacs are known for developing unattractive toning (spotting), you seem to have been lucky that this was your first.

It is my understanding that the "wash" used on the planchets during production in the early years caused some of the Sac's to turn very ugly colors. This concern arose once again with the introduction of the Presidential Dollars, and I believe that a different solution is being used to try to prevent this from happening.

Chris