• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AT project update!!!!!!!!!!

7 posts in this topic

Well, I'm going through some ebay coin listings and come across several modern silver commems with wonderous, gorgeous, fantastic toning. They look pretty and they are holdered by reputable grading services. However, some of the prices being asked are absurd and borderline sham. I really don't mind the coins being offered at $100, but thousands of dollars? For modern toned commems? So I said to myself, I can replicate that color. I know most of those modern toned commems are AT, but just how close can I come to them. So I went to the neighborhood coin store and bought a 1982 GW Half, BU. 20 minutes later, the results. The rims are electric blue, blending to violet, violet to magenta, magenta to gold, with some white centers. Mind you, the scan image is very light and the actual colors are more dramatic. The coin is astounding. This coin is not and will not ever be for sale.

TRUTH

246162-Washo.jpg.7bab5ab83f9605732a1d1edcf1fbcc3f.jpg

Nice job truth! Now tell me how so I can sell them for thousands on eBay! 893whatthe.gifinsane.gifgrin.gif (Okay, I promise to only sell them to TomB) 27_laughing.gif

Do the colors stick? Is that a stupid question? Do they fade, crack, peel, or otherwise wash off? sumo.gif

Hoot

The method utilized reacts with the silver surface. It is not painted, or adhered to. The method is acelerated toning, so it wiil dip off. The toning does not fade or change color after 48 hours. The surface will continue to react, and the colors will tone down a bit for 12-48 hours. The method utilized is an offshoot of the methods used by AT doctors, especially for modern coins. Of course, modern coins that look like this CAN be natural, but it is important to look CAREFULLY at the holdered coin and ask, "Is this worth $500, $1000, $3000?????"

TRUTH

truthteller -

I'm going to see if I can get a certain collector I know to allow me to photograph some of the coins he has toned. I just hope I can capture the image as the eye sees it. I doubt even you could tell they are AT. I think he even gets mixed up from time to time. Luckily he never sells anything.

BTW - keep up the good work with this.

superlative we need more threads like this

thanks truth!

if one new coin buyer who is buying modern toned coins learns something from this thread then an extra plus!!!!!

michael

GD,

I would LOVE to see some images. Since some of the coin doctors are always coming up with new techniques, I still have a lot to learn.

Michael,

More to come. grin.gif

TRUTH