• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1826 Bust Half NGC MS66

31 posts in this topic

hail.gif...Did you get it for yourself or to Flip...

Sadly I will be moving it along. I wish i could afford to keep a coin like this... The collector in me says YES!!!! do it!!! and my pocketbook just ran away and hid! hahaha

All the coins we aquire are ours for only a short time... Congrats on owning it ,If even for a short time. thumbsup2.gif

Highest graded CBH I have seen. It would give me shivers to hold it and know it was mine--no matter for how long. It always gives me pleasure to see a coin similiar to one I have owned and know that I had it. Enjoy.

Yeah, I’ll go along with others…

Sweet, sweet, sweet! yay.gifyay.gif I love to own such a Bust half as one of those, personally I like the 1836 a little more, but I would kill for either. insane.gif

Thanks for the look see Matt, it’s nice to see these coins and dream of owning them, maybe if I sold my type set I could buy a few, err… maybe one. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

wow that ms66 is one of the few bust halves in gem holders i have ever seen that has no rub cloud9.gif on the face or boobs

truly a really rare coin like that and superb!! cloud9.gif

Hi Matt,

Since you don't plan to keep the coin and because the other replies have been so universally positive, I don't feel as badly as I otherwise might in posting this. The 1826 is unimpressive looking to me. The cheek and throat area of Ms. Liberty don't appear to be smooth, the luster seems subdued, the uneven/darker patches of toning on the lower portion of each side distract me, as does the dark spot(?) at the L of Liberty's head band. From your description, the coin sounds better than it appears in the images, but the images are what we are commenting on.

I really wonder how much the comments in this thread were affected by the grade on the label, as opposed to the actual appearance of the coin itself. OK, who wants to flame me first?

Mark,

I understand what you are saying and can not disagree, however I still like the overall appearance of the coin. I have an 1828 that has no toning and plenty of lustre, but it is a totally different look. This 1826, with the lack of lustre and darker toned look, brings out the details of the coin in a different way for me which I find attractive. The spot at the L of Liberty is a distraction I admit, but the overall look of the coin to me overrides that. It may not be the nicest looking CBH but it does catch my eye and therefore I find it to be one that I would not mind having as part of a collection. The grade is impressive but it did not make me automatically like the coin. In fact I was actually surprised at that high of grade initially.

Rey

Hi Matt,

Since you don't plan to keep the coin and because the other replies have been so universally positive, I don't feel as badly as I otherwise might in posting this. The 1826 is unimpressive looking to me. The cheek and throat area of Ms. Liberty don't appear to be smooth, the luster seems subdued, the uneven/darker patches of toning on the lower portion of each side distract me, as does the dark spot(?) at the L of Liberty's head band. From your description, the coin sounds better than it appears in the images, but the images are what we are commenting on.

I really wonder how much the comments in this thread were affected by the grade on the label, as opposed to the actual appearance of the coin itself. OK, who wants to flame me first?

Hiya!

These pictures do not really do the coin justice at all. It is always been a trick for me to capture a truly nice coins "real" appearance. This coin has double cartwheels with no break in the field in front of the face like I see on other gem bust halves. The camera plus my crappy lighting make it look fuzzy... I need to get a photo dome... but I keep spending my money on coins like this hahahaha!!! The spot on the obverse isn't as dark as the picture makes it to be but it is there and that was my only problem with the coin. As always I appreciate your take on the coin and from my crappy pictures I would tend to agree with you if I didn't have the coin in hand!

Hi Matt,

Hiya!

These pictures do not really do the coin justice at all. It is always been a trick for me to capture a truly nice coins "real" appearance. This coin has double cartwheels with no break in the field in front of the face like I see on other gem bust halves. The camera plus my crappy lighting make it look fuzzy... I need to get a photo dome... but I keep spending my money on coins like this hahahaha!!! The spot on the obverse isn't as dark as the picture makes it to be but it is there and that was my only problem with the coin. As always I appreciate your take on the coin and from my crappy pictures I would tend to agree with you if I didn't have the coin in hand!

Sounds reasonable to me, Matt - thanks and good luck with it.

hey gang! I picked this guy up yesterday along with another. This is one of the nicest and most flashy bust halves I have ever seen. I thought Id share.

4ke1vrn.jpg

4th6xy0.jpg

6au5czs.jpg

The picture doesn't do the coin justice IMHO,,,Understanding that the insert of a NGC coin is much whiter. I hope you don't mind my making adjustments to your pics but whenever I see a pic of a coin that I feel is (And this is not in any way a put down) Sub par I take it upon myself to try to correct it to see what the coin does look like in hand...No enhancement but more like corrections.Is this any improvement towards the actual coin??

4th6xy0.jpg

6au5czs.jpg