• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trivia time

13 posts in this topic

Last night I mentioned that we haven't had members post any trivia questions for a while. Well here is my first. The first person who gets it right gets the chance to post another question.

Here it is. What were the only proof medals struck by the U.S. Mint not intended for individual sale but as part of a set of coins. CHRIS

Hmmmmmmm? I think they were the 1982 proof medals in the US proof set which were issued to fill the hole left by the SBA dollar. The mint used the left over proof holders in 1982, so they issued the medal until new holders were manufactured in 1983.

Gimme my prize!!!!!!!

TRUTH

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif I want free stuff!!!!

OK, here's the question. It's very, very difficult.

Which person was depicted on a US coin, who was still living at the time of coin minting, only to die in the same year????

TRUTH

The answer is Joseph T. Robinson. The Ark-Robinson commem was struck in January of 1937, even with a date of 1936, and Robinson died in July of that 1937.

Carter glass was indeed living when the Lynchburg commem was minted, however, he died in 1946

George Washington was indeed on the 1932 quarter and, but died quite a few years beforehand.

TRUTH

K of J,

You are correct about his portrait. GW was on several medals pre 1799, but no coins struck in the US. Some of those medals are considered in the 'colonial' category, and are associated with colonial coinage, which is pre US coinage.

TRUTH

Dang! I was up in the air as to Robinson or Carter and I didn't want to look it up and cheat! Oh well. Good question though! grin.gif

You are absolutely correct. I guess I was viewing this quiz as something we already knew and not as something we could find the answer to.

As to the years in academia, you mean I could have gotten out sooner? 893frustrated.gif