• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jefferson Nickel I found last night

8 posts in this topic

It is difficult to see but I found a 55D/S last night while going through a few rolls to pick coins for my Dansco. The coin is AU and was a great surprise buried in coins I had not looked at in years. It made my night.

IMG_1096.jpg

A D/S is a nice find.

Regarding the images above, what is making the letters and other items on the reverse seem so out of place and mis-aligned? Is it the image itself?

Rey

if you are referring to the C and S in CENTS, or the last S in STATES, or C in AMERICA, I do not know. The photo I thought was very good. The strike is mushy, possibly a late die state or grease.

Of course you can examine the coin closer than I can, but I'm not totally convinced that this is a D/S mint mark on that 1955 Jefferson, more than it is a RPM (DD repunched mint mark)

I do not want to go against the grain...just that the image to me is not quite definative to be confirmed D/S.

Closer image perhaps?

Either way, still a neat Jefferson to find in a roll. WTG!

my photo skills will not allow a closer photo. In hand you can clearly see the top curvature of the S under the D. I also have a couple of 55D with RPM and they look similar but do not have the clear S under the D. I must have looked at for an hour making sure I was seeing it correctly. It now resides in my Jefferson Dansco blank page

You have to be careful with the 55 D/s attribution. There are at least 11 different D/S dies for that year. Some of them show the OMM clearly and others don't. Die number 1 is the one that you see the prices for in the books. If yours shows clearly but it isn't die 1 then you may have difficultygetting the premium for it.