• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I picked up a 1922 "plain" Lincoln cent this weekend for $1250 (trade)...

16 posts in this topic

... and was wondering: How in the heck do you grade these things? I did the transaction based on gut feel, because the coin seems to have a bit better strike than usual, though it is definitely die-pair 2. I know the obverses are always mush, but do these usually have a below-average reverse as well?

No pics yet ...

They should be graded based on the reverse as the obverses all look like VG. Grade the reverse as if it were a normal business strike.

... and was wondering: How in the heck do you grade these things? I did the transaction based on gut feel, because the coin seems to have a bit better strike than usual, though it is definitely die-pair 2. I know the obverses are always mush, but do these usually have a below-average reverse as well?

No pics yet ...

James ,I believe you can contact Ira Stein ... gossip.gifHe specializes in these..... Someone who posts here and ATS may be able to direct you..

Nice PU James. You should be proud to own this coin. Can't wait to see the pics regardless of the Obverse strike. This is a very underated coin. Great buy.

There are three variations on the 1922 "plain" cent. The one with the strong reverse is the only that gets much credit from the grading services.

The strong reverse piece is graded by the reverse with the obverse coming along to be graded by the surfaces. I'm not a aware of a "weak" reverse variation with the "strong reverse" die pair. If you coin has a weak reverse, it might be one of the other two. And sadly if you have got $1,200.00 in most anything other than a Type 2, "You've been sriffed," to steal a phrase from across the steet.

I've have bought and sold several of the "strong reverse" '22 plains. The best one was a solid EF. The reverse was "all there" on that one with strong wheat ears. The obverse looked like a Fine with smooth surfaces.

Hi James,

These 22's are a bear to grade. I do not shy away from grading most coins in the series I collect, but the 22 plain is an exception. I have to compare these to pieces I believe to be accurately graded, Not to say all slabbed grades on these are correct. You could spend an hour trying to micro grade these and still be off by a huge factor. Good luck with yours, these are hot coins.

James- grading the '22 can be trickey. Here's a couple examples that I hope point the direction:

PCGS MS60

IMGP5377_edited.jpg

IMGP5378_edited.jpg

PCGS MS63

IMGP4297_edited.jpg

IMGP4298_edited.jpg

Neither is a '22 Plain, die 2. Mike

NICE COINS!

drwstr123 , THANKS for the images for grading reference! My coin isn't nearly that high-grade. I think it grades VF-20, which I deduced by comparison to Heritage archives, but unfortunately, it must be a tough issue to image, because their images aren't too good.

I take it your second coin (MS-63) is not "die-pair 2"? I say this because it looks like the "weak reverse" variety.

If anybody happens to have additional images in the F-12 to VF-35 range, I would greatly appreciate it! Unfortunately, all my stuff is packed up for the big trip to Chicago (MidAmercia), so I can't get images right now.

THANKS everyone!

The thing remember about the strong reverse 1922 plain is that the grading ON the reverse is the same as it is for any other Lincoln cent that was struck normally. You don't relax the standards for the reverse although the obverse grading is totally different. Some people say that you should ignore the obverse and just grade it from the reverse. But you need to note any damage and do the best you can to grade it by the surfaces.

The '22 plain shown earlier that is in a PCGS MS-60 holder is a prime example of grading by the surfaces. Going by the picture of the reverse, there seem to be few wheat lines, the coin has an overall gloss and smoothness the surfaces that look like the original mint luster is still intact.

The thing remember about the strong reverse 1922 plain is that the grading ON the reverse is the same as it is for any other Lincoln cent that was struck normally. You don't relax the standards for the reverse although the obverse grading is totally different. Some people say that you should ignore the obverse and just grade it from the reverse. But you need to note any damage and do the best you can to grade it by the surfaces.

The '22 plain shown earlier that is in a PCGS MS-60 holder is a prime example of grading by the surfaces. Going by the picture of the reverse, there seem to be few wheat lines, the coin has an overall gloss and smoothness the surfaces that look like the original mint luster is still intact.

The PCGS MS60 is a '22-D, the '22 w/o D is a PCGS MS63. Mike