• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stacks auction

8 posts in this topic

I've never had a problem with them or their auctions. Their catalogues are often very good, however, they illustrate few of their lots and they do not have them imaged on the web. Also, they seem to still favor raw coins so viewing a lot in person is doubly important if you plan to bid.

Not being too wealthy, I bought a coin through Heritage one day and for the next several months I was receiving these rather large auction catalogs from just about everyone. 893whatthe.gif Lots of nice pictures of rare coins that I don't even dream about but what a waste of money. They must send that stuff to everyone. The one thing that still amuses me are the letters from Heritage that keep asking me to sell my coins in their auctions. The question that keeps popping up into my head, what coins?! 27_laughing.gif

Leo

i used to do quite a bit of business with them. after having a years long relationship with stack's i found it necessary earlier this year to end that relationship due to extremely poor customer service. specifically, i requested a return of an over graded lot won with a mail bid. they simply refused to even address the issue. i have had to return a couple of mail bid items over the years and it was always a struggle. they are geared 100% toward dealers/investors. you can not win a lot for less than your max bid. this is absolutely imperative when dealing with stack's; you must view their lots in person to have any chance of making an informed buy. it appears they are getting greedier and are even turning on us smaller dealers.

I have had mixed results with Stacks. Over the years, I've been very pleased with my large purchases from them - but these were significant raw coins previewed by a trusted associate. The few coins I've purchased that weren't previewed and attended live either cost me my max bid or, in one case, was holed and plugged without such being revealed in the text.

you can not win a lot for less than your max bid.

If this is true, this would mean that they will artificially bid in order to achieve your maximum bid?

Help me out here, please, as I may very well be placing a mail bid in this upcoming auction.

mike,

the bid you write on the sheet is the bid you'll win with. they will not reduce it for you to win at one increment over the underbidder.

please do not bid unless you are able to view the auction lots and then floor bid.

I am not proposing Stacks for sainthood but I have routinely left mail bids that I received for LESS than my max bid. But it seems at times with any auction house that you end up paying close to your max more often than not. Don't bid more than you feel the coin is worth and do see it ahead of time.

roadrunner