• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strange Mint item ? Or NOT ?

10 posts in this topic

Looks like a cut section from a bar of cold rolled steel with a Birnell Hardness Test done to it to determine carbon content/proper heat treatment. The very center of of any formed steel will be the weakest. During production and subsequent heat treatments, impurities migrate to the center, that why it appears that there is an impression dimple there. I don't think this is mint related...

But then again, I'm one of those "self proclaimed Experts" who knows everything there is to know about, but yet know nothing.

There is some discussion here:

Forum Chat linked

id say ingraved! a dremel spins and a ingraver moves up and down. leaving lil bump pox in the metal. a dremel small tool would leave smooth grooves smile.gif

just stating what i see smile.gif

Dremel.jpg

Your both correct, Dremel makes an engraver (electric) but I would say that the letters & numbers have been engraved by a high speed pnematic engraver, one where the stylus vibrates up and down and peens the surface rather than trenching.

Carry on