• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Twentieth Century US Type Set

20 posts in this topic

I've been working on a 20th century type set for a little while now. It's been a fun set that I can continue to work on when coins for some of my other sets aren't available for one reason or another. I'm on a tight budget while still in grad school, so for me a $50+ coin is a pretty big buy. Keep that in mind.

I'm not finished with my type set as you'll see when you view my webpage, but I've got all of the coins (except for the 1909 VDB cent). What's left at this point are upgrades. My higher dollar upgrade priorities are my liberty head nickel (which I want in gem MS), and my SLW and barbers (which I want around AU-55 if I can afford them). Cheaper upgrades will be the silver bicentennial quarter and half, a new silver ike in MS, and probably a new MS peace dollar and/or IHC (lowest on my list).

Other than those, I'm about where I want to be with my other coins in the set. I included a silver eagle, but I don't know if I'm going to put in any gold. I'm also not sure if I'll do a type 20th century commem, but I probably will. I'd like a nice stone mountain half at some point.

I've been waiting on posting my site until I had the 20th century stuff more or less complete, so I'm looking forward to hearing comments from y'all. Thanks!

My Twentieth Century US Type Set

Looks real nice Michael. I like the Morgan and the SAE the best. The 64' lincoln looks nice, oh yea, like that 38' Buff. Did I mention that 34' Walker looked good too! very nice in all!!

That's a nice set! Are you keeping these coins in a Dansco 7070, raw, or what?

Currently, they're in a mix of airtites, slabs, and original government packaging. When I have it all where I want it, I'm either going to put them all in AirTites or in a 7070.

It's interesting that you would choose a 1944 Lincoln cent as your bronze example since the cents of 1944-1946 had a different composition from all other Lincoln cents. These are the famous shell case cents and instead of being 0.950 copper with 0.050 tin and zinc they are actually 0.950 copper with 0.050 zinc, which results in a color that is typically slightly different than other Lincoln Wheat cents.

Nice set of coins you’ve got there Michael. thumbsup2.gif

I like your Morgan Dollar and 1913 Buffalo a lot, your Walker looks great for an AU coin. cool.gif

I also think you’ve done a good job photographing your coins, the proofs look great, and I like the set layout on the web page. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I think it's a great set! I can identify with finding a 50$ or less set to complete. Congrats on putting all together!

Hey Michael... didn't you just pickup a 1976-S Silver Proof Washington Quarter for this set? I heard that it's a very nice coin!! poke2.gif

BTW: It's on the way! yay.gif

Scott hi.gif

Ahhhhh I see what we have been doing when we were supposed to be studying smile.gif

Making Coin web pages - Beautiful Job Mike

A very diverse collection for a type set, I believe that the older coins should look “old” and the newly minted coins should look “new” fresh from the mint.

Your “placeholders” do need an upgrade in some instances, but to accumulate all these coins is a good way to enjoy this hobby. The internet affords us the ability to display our collections for other to see and enjoy.

Good job on the layout, your skills from all those years of “surfing” have paid off handsomely.

~Woody~

That is a very nice collection. Keep up the good work and thank you for sharing. I am inspired to start my own now smile.gif