• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another noobish questions.

9 posts in this topic

forgive me, but i had to ask.

to use for an example. Silver dollar proof uncirculated, Silver dollar regular uncirculated.

What would be the difference between the two??

The Proof is polished and other isn't?

also..

if someone bought both Proof uncirculated and Regular uncirculated,

took both out the case, and circulated it. Say it circulated for a while

and had some wear. Would both proof and regular be consided the same

coin?? Down the road, could someone say.. " this is a proof, and other regular"?

thanks, and hope you understand what im tring to ask.

if someone bought both Proof uncirculated and Regular uncirculated,

took both out the case, and circulated it. Say it circulated for a while

and had some wear. Would both proof and regular be consided the same

coin?? Down the road, could someone say.. " this is a proof, and other regular"?

Yes, or they should be able to. The Mintmarks would be different.

I will add that Proof is a method of manufacture, not a condition. It uses polished blanks and multiple strikes that give the coin a higher relief and more detail. If a proof is circulated, it is called an impaired proof, but you can still tell that it is a proof in most cases.

The way that proof and uncirulated are typically used is mutually exclusive in numismatics. That is, since proof is a method of manufacture, and not a grade, a proof coin by definition will not fall into the common use of uncirculated. A business strike coin will be uncirculated.

forgive me, but i had to ask.

to use for an example. Silver dollar proof uncirculated, Silver dollar regular uncirculated.

Your use of the terminology here is somewhat incorrect. There is no such thing as proof uncirculated, a coin is either proof or uncirculated. They are two completely different methods of manufacture (as has been pointed out.)

And yes, a circulated proof is still a proof (remember, it is how the coin was made, not how it appears). It is called an impaired proof, and for modern coins is only worth face or bullion value. Certain classic coins were only minted as proofs some years, and although some of them have circulated they have retained a fair bit of value.

Again, buy the Red book. There is a pretty good section explaining the difference between the two, along with more detail about how each are made.

To answer your last question, I've pulled circulated proofs out of circulation, and it's still pretty obvious they're proofs. Again, because it's a method of manufacture and they just look different.

It is possible to wear a proof coin down to the point where it can't be identified as a proof but it takes a LOT of wear. In most all cases you would still be able to identify a coin as a proof all the way down to G - VG. In some cases due to distinctive die features you would be able to identify the coin as a proof until it was worn smooth. And of course there are also proof only issue that you would know were proofs as long as they were identifable.

Your use of the terminology here is somewhat incorrect. There is no such thing as proof uncirculated, a coin is either proof or uncirculated. They are two completely different methods of manufacture (as has been pointed out.)
Actually, a coin is either a Proof or a business strike, not either Proof or uncirculated. "Uncirculated" is a condition, not a method of manufacture, whereas business strike and proof are methods of manufacture.