• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTB: Colorfully toned 1970s Canadian Specimen Dollars

3 posts in this topic

After photographing the batch for Dimitri, buying a pair from Doogy, and a couple on eBay, I'm really digging these 1970s Canadian dollars.

There must be something about the surface of these coins that makes them susceptible to crazy toning. The "splatter" and/or woodgrain toning effects can be incredible.

I just picked this one up:

52ad_3.JPG

The great thing about these is that they are relatively cheap. Raw ones are usually $5-10. Slabs come in at $15-50 depending on the grade and toning patterns.

If anyone has any for sale or trade, I'm interested.

Thanks!

The toning on these coins was due to the clam shell cases that they came in. The interior of the cases were lined in velvet that came in direct contact with both sides of the coins. I own a few wonderfully toned examples that I purchased years ago in the original cases from a dealer in Canada, but they are not for sale. wink.gif

John