• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Holograms on the back of the TPG's

8 posts in this topic

Conder101 I believe made a book with a history of all the grading services and it had alot of stuff about them in it. I have the book, but I lost it and Can't find it. I have a question on PCGS's and NGC's hologram. Now, PCGS's hologram has a picture of a saint gaudens coin and says NASDAQ. I talked to conder101 and he said they changed it to this in 2005. But I have a PCGS coin before this change and it says PNG, Knowledge is power or something like that. How can this be? NGC is the offical grader of the ANA and PNG, not PCGS.

Can anyone explain this?

PCGS was the official grading company for the ANA at one time. When it came time for renewal, NGC out bid them and became the official grading company.

PCGS was the official grading company for the ANA at one time. When it came time for renewal, NGC out bid them and became the official grading company.

Interesting, thanks. Out bid them? Was it like whoever makes the highest bid gets the ANA approval?

893whatthe.gif

Yes.

The ANA put the designation of "official grading service" up for bid a few years ago and NGC outbid PCGS.

By the way, Conder101's posts showing the history of the PCGS and NGC slabs are still available across the street.

Yes.

The ANA put the designation of "official grading service" up for bid a few years ago and NGC outbid PCGS.

By the way, Conder101's posts showing the history of the PCGS and NGC slabs are still available across the street.

Thanks DaveG. That's surpriseing! What if SEGS or one of the lower grading service won the bid? Heh.

DaveG, I'll do a search over there, I can't post over there though.

DaveG, I can't find the PCGS slabs, only the NGC slabs. Can you get me a link please?

In case anyone else wants to find the posts:

1. Go Across the Street.

2. Go to Advanced Search.

3. Put "PCGS" (or "NGC") in the Title box and "Conder101" in the Author box. Click the "US Coin Forum" box.

NGC thread

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=220185&STARTPAGE=1

PCGS thread

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=222533

PCGS lost the ANA endorsement to NGC in Feb 2005, and then lost the PNG endosement sometime around the end of the year.

And yes the ANA endorsement was just a matter of who bid the most for it. The ANA endorsement of NGC expired his year but they granted a six month extention while they try and work out the details of thier new TPG endorsement which are designed to allow several services receive the endorsement at the same time. (Of course each of these services will wind up paying for the endorsement in some fashion.) It turns the endorsement into a continuing revenue source.

The PNG endorsement is also a paid endorsement.