• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC CC DOLLARS

15 posts in this topic

These seem to be getting more scare, and the prices keep on rising. What are your thoughts on acquiring some of these coins, what are the best dates to acquire, prices and dealers you would recommend.

(By the way - I am new to these boards but have been collecting/investing/hoarding/dealing on and off for many years).

for me i would buy coins that i liked with discretionary funds and i would buy coins that are good values with tremendous eye appeal and extraspecial qualities about them

if you do not know what you are looking at or know values then you need to start asking questions like you are here and take it slow and go to many coin shops and shows and just keep looking and learning till you can do the above or you can try to find a dealer you are comfortable with and trust

then when you buy you might be able to get some great coins at fair market prices that hopefully? are good values and have fun doing it

the key to the cc dollars you are buying is

EYE APPEAL EYE APPEAL EYE APPEAL

only buy cc dollars with amazing eye appeal

I just don't see the fascination of GSA coins. From what I've seen most cheeks look like 12 miles of detour. When I buy a coin I look at the coin. Don't care if it came from GSA, Redfield, Pittman or a bum on the street. These are all just marketing gimmicks that will only appeal to novices and not those who are serious in their numismatic pursuits. cool.gif

What appeals to some folks as a collectible will never be understood by all others. That is because of varying taste. With GSAs - some people like them because of the holder - and the coin it has inside.

I don't care for Barber coinage - but there are plenty of others who do. I don't collect cents either - just not my cup of tea. And I do collect GSAs. But then I'm only a novice. I've only been collecting 43 years grin.gif

Raw, certified, GSA or other Morgans (or any other series for that matter), I'd stick with the advice to go on eye-appeal and coin grade... anything else is simply buying "packaging", which while not necessarily a bad thing, packagaing alone does NOT guarantee that the item will hold its value... whereas a solidly graded, blazer of a coin will (unless the market simply tanks).

John,

I recently bought an 1884 CC NGC ms 65 Morgan from Dragon on the Marketplace boards. I was very pleased with the description, value and grade of the coin. I've heard positive feedback about Dragon from other board members as well. He currently has a CC $ for sale on the boards if you want to check it out. Best of luck to you.

Pages: 1

dragon

Austin dragon - International Man of grandMastery

Reged: 01/28/02

Loc: Illinois

For Sale: 1884-CC PCGS MS65, a PQ premium handpicked piece

#220488 - 07/24/03 07:13 PM Edit Reply Quote

For sale, 1884-CC Morgan dollar PCGS MS65, all white with nice lustre, very clean cheek and clean overall, very high end IMO and a handpicked piece, have seen worse coins in 66 holders. $335.00

Please PM me if interested, thanks.

dragon

--------------------

------------------------------------

Habanos s.a.

HECHO EN CUBA

Totalmente a mano

that will only appeal to novices and not those who are serious in their numismatic pursuits.

893whatthe.gif

Unless of course one is fascinated by the Redfield or GSA story, and would like to have a coin with a real story behind it....

I have a few Redfields and Binions and all but the "big 3" GSA CC dollars...and I for one am very happy to show them off and tell the story.

ORIGINAL jurislaw POST :

These seem to be getting more scare, and the prices keep on rising. What are your thoughts on acquiring some of these coins, what are the best dates to acquire, prices and dealers you would recommend. (By the way - I am new to these boards but have been collecting/investing/hoarding/dealing on and off for many years). I am mainly referring to GSA dollars.

azmorganman REPLY POST :

These are all just marketing gimmicks that will only appeal to novices and not those who are serious in their numismatic pursuits.

jurislaw states he has been involved in numismatics for "many years." As such, he is arguably beyond the novice stage. He also clearly states his interest is in GSA dollars.

I firmly believe that the popularity of numismatics is due in large part to the infinite number of ways in which each person chooses their "numismatic pursuits." To classify someone as "novice" seems overly critical and biased towards a fellow coin collector that choses to pursue the hobby in a manner not consistent with one's own posture towards the same hobby.

These boards are a wonderful source of information and fellowship. I hope jurislaw continues to ask questions and participate in discussions. I don't think azmorganman meant any personal affront to jurislaw, rather that he was just being somewhat outspoken with his opinion. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

This was my first post to the Boards. My post was intended to stimulate a discussion for all those who were interested and to point out an area of the market that I deemed unique and possibly underrated.

Collecting GSA CC Dollars, whether in original holders or in government packaging is a widely collected item and a force in the marketplace. I personally would not characterize it as for the novice or inexperienced, but to each their own.

My question is does the uniqueness of the government packaging and the hisotry of the the sale add to the demand and therefore the value. Many 64/65 coins were taken out of the packaging when PCGC and NGC started to grade slabs. The ones now left in the packaging would seem to be rarer and command a higher price.

I agree that one of the points of collecting is to acquire what is of interest to the individual. I personally like the silver eagles but will not pony up $50 for MS70 coins. I prefer to pick at the ones in the $10 range to get good deals. I like the idea of displaying 100s or silver eagles in descent shape rather than just a few in perfect shape. I'm sure as time goes on I will eventually move into better grades but at this moment, time and money does not allow me to pursue that path.

The supply of really nice CC dollars in GSA holders was considerably reduced in the late 1970s and the 1980s. At that time many collectors did not care about the GSA holders at all. Dealers found that if they had a really nice dollar in a GSA holder, they could get more money for it by cracking it out and selling it with a grade like MS-65 on a flip. The coins that stayed in the holders for mostly the lower grade pieces with bad cheeks and poor luster.

There was a situation where some of the GSA dollars that were not marked “Uncirculated” really were Mint State. Some of those pieces had nice toning. The college kids who were hired to do the grading didn’t always learn to grade well during their (1 hour, 1 day, 1 week ???) grading course. As a result mistakes did happen.

I can see where collectors would be interested in the GSA dollars given their history, but I don’t understand some of outrageous premiums that some dates bring. I’ve seen 1879-CC GSA dollars that carried a 300% premium because of the holder. 893whatthe.gif For example I’ve seen badly marked up, very unattractive examples that would be lucky to bring $1,200 raw or slabbed that had asking prices of over $3,000 on them. To me the holder is not worth that much, but each to their own. confused-smiley-013.gif