• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Additional lincoln assistance

11 posts in this topic

This 2007 Lincoln cent from a bank roll has some parallel lines on obverse and reverse that are too straight to be a wipe(IMO). There is a die crack in the head and ear, but that has nothing to do with the lines(I don't think). Any help as to the cause of the lines I would appreciate. As you can see the lines are only visible under 60x magnification, not with the eye. None of the other coins in the roll had these lines.

2007lincolncomposite.jpg

2007lincolnobv.jpg

Never mind folks, my son opened another roll and the first seven were this way, some far worse and some barely detectable. I went back to the first roll and you could barely see the lines at 60x. So I guess this is normal under magnification. Crazy. Thanks for looking.

In a way they are flow lines, but not from the die or the striking. These lines are left on the surface of the strip by the rolling mills. If the striking pressure isn't high enough the die doesn't fill completely and these planchet striations remain visible. In some cases the striations are severe because of worn out rollers in the roller mill.

The zinc core is rolled to the correct thickness, blanks are punched out of the rolled zinc and then the blanks are thinly plated with pure copper...I have no idea what caused those minute lines in the pressed Lincolns, unless the striations created in the rolled out zinc core were somehow relayed/transformed to the surface of the copper???

Beats me...but,

You need to put away anything that can magnify 60X 27_laughing.gif a ding on a coin would look like the Hubble took a picture of a crater on the moon!

The copper plating is only .002 inches in thickness. The striations will show through that easily and in many cases are probably close to that in height, or more, on the zinc planchet.

Hi contact KOINPRO there on ebay & see if you can submitte the coin to him, his real name is Ken Potter who has written several books about coin errors, he is an EXPERT in the field on Errors

This IS NOT an error coin, please re-read what conder has written and save your money on this (these) one.

I agree, J. Condor gave a very detailed, explicit explanation of what occurred and I appreciate the input from you both. Thanks.