• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lenghty Olive Oil Use in Coin World Report

7 posts in this topic

I have some Barber dimes in olive oil as we speak...(been on top of the fridge in a plastic snap lock container since March) they are not anything of significant value but after reading this I also have questions???

I have heard nothing but good about olive and this does make me question a little also. I still think that it's beneficial for badly damaged coins and as to residue, I would think that a treatment of acetone may help this. I've never used mineral oil tho'. confused-smiley-013.gif

I’m not big on dipping however I have used both oils. My understanding is the Olive Oil is acidic with Virgin being the less acidic. Mineral Oil isn’t. BTW Mineral Oil is an intestinal lubricant.

I have soaked a few in either oil prior to a quick dip or quick soap and water rinse. My theory being the oil loosening.

The article confused me but as I was reading it I realized there are no exact guide lines for rinsing coins. One must use there best judgment. I think the article was only suggesting proven methods and safe materials. JMO

Olive Oil is great on salads smile.gif

I’m not big on dipping however I have used both oils. My understanding is the Olive Oil is acidic with Virgin being the less acidic. Mineral Oil isn’t. BTW Mineral Oil is an intestinal lubricant.

I have soaked a few in either oil prior to a quick dip or quick soap and water rinse. My theory being the oil loosening.

The article confused me but as I was reading it I realized there are no exact guide lines for rinsing coins. One must use there best judgment. I think the article was only suggesting proven methods and safe materials. JMO

Olive Oil is great on salads smile.gif

It's not so much the acidity but more the Regular olive oil is chemically drawn from the olive where as the extra virgin is cold pressed..The chemicals can be detrimental to the coin I have heard..