• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What will PCGS say about this half dime?

What will PCGS say?  

270 members have voted

1. 1. What will PCGS say?

62 posts in this topic

I just sent this in to PCGS for grading on Monday. I got one free submission for completing my registry set and this was it. The coin is raw but was in an old ANACS No Problem holder before I cracked it out. What do you think PCGS will say?

Note, the bright band across the obverse pic is from light reflecting off the old ANACS plastic.

obvii5.jpgrevpc4.jpg

It's hard for me to judge the surfaces based on the pictures (especially the obverse). But what the hey, I like it, so it clearly deserves a 64. I can't see any breaks in the luster, a few scratches might be there, and the coin has retoned over what was likely a gentle cleaning. Edited to add: The strike looks awesome to me; is it?

I don't know what PCGS graded it, but I voted MS-63.

The is very well struck for the type with nice fresh new dies. The toning is not going bring any premium, but it's decent and original looking. The only things that hold it back from a higher grade are a number of marks both obverse and reverse. The worst one is on Ms. Liberty's cheek, and there is another patch in the left reverse field, among others.

I can't see where those would knock it down to MS-62, however.

It's hard for me to judge the surfaces based on the pictures (especially the obverse). But what the hey, I like it, so it clearly deserves a 64. I can't see any breaks in the luster, a few scratches might be there, and the coin has retoned over what was likely a gentle cleaning. Edited to add: The strike looks awesome to me; is it?

The strike is quite nice for this type. Quite often these coins have a lump in from of Ms. Liberty's nose that is shaped like a rhino tusk.

Here is one that NGC graded MS-64. I fully agree with the grade. The scratches on the right obverse are on the holder. The coin is really smooth and well struck.

1833HDimeO.jpg1833HDimeR.jpg

Hi, Cladiator hi.gif

From your pictures, I think I am looking at a MS 63 coin and I like it very much. But tough to tell on that obverse picture with the glare and all. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

AAJ

I think you have an MS64 coin that will be BB'd. I sent one in with 1/3 the scratches on the obverse that this one has and it was BB'd for scratches. My coin had 3 scratches 1/2 inch long. Mine was an 1859 cent. I hope I'm wrong 'cause that is a beautiful coin. Good luck, as that seems to be what it takes.

Mozin, hi, long time no see! May I ask why you think it may bodybag?

I didn't think it would. I rated it MS63, strike is incredible but PCGS can call it AUU58 or MS63 depending on, I guess, if they have ants in their pants that day.

if sight seen the coin has great lustre and no hairlines and no friction based on my guesstimate from the photo i am assuming great lustre no hairlines and no rub

ms63 possibly ms 64

My first instinct said 55. Which is what I voted. I wouldn't be surprised to see it in a 62 holder though.

Despite a mild cleaning, I think it will be holdered, and my guess was AU-55. BUT, as always, PCGS (and NGC) are erratic grading these. Anything from EF-45 to MS-62 is possible.

I hate to type and agree with IGWT...

I think this coin has a great strike and I like it, thumbsup2.gif but I hope these scratches on the reverse are in the plastic. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I’ve submitted a dozen of mid 19th century coins like this half dime to either NGC or PCGS over the years; six found their way into slabs and the others make up ¾ of my BB collection. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Package was received and signed for today at PCGS. Hopefully it'll get entered into the system this week. The process has begun wink.gif
Ok ,,this is the sucky thing I have found ..TPG's are harder on smaller coins..A small hit just occupies so much more area and There is less area to distract the eye...I really like the coin but I think that it'll 62 shot 63...