• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many coin museums or permanent exhibits are there?

11 posts in this topic

I've heard that the Smithsonian no longer has a permanent coin exhibit. Aside from the ANA Colorado Springs museum, how many coin museums or permanent exhibits are there in the US and the rest of the world?

There is the famous ANA museum in Colorado. And they are planning on opening a couple more (one on the east coast and one at the San Fran mint.) Do the ANS or other societies (or mints) have museums?

There is the famous ANA museum in Colorado. And they are planning on opening a couple more (one on the east coast and one at the San Fran mint.) Do the ANS or other societies (or mints) have museums?

The ANA museum is great! i am fortunate enough to live a few hours away from it and if you ever get a chance to go i highly encourage you to go. they do have a 13 nickel an 1804 bust and the complete 1866 no motto quarter,half and dollar smile.gif

There are several that I have heard of but have never visited them and cannot confirm whether they actually exist, are permanent or are open to the public if they do exist.

National mints in Madrid (Spain), Mexico City (Mexico) and Pretoria (South Africa) are three of them. The Amalgamated Bank of South Africa (ABSA) reportedly has the largest collection or at least private collection of South Africa Union coinage.

The ABSA collection has many rare South African patterns. The Mexico Casa de Moneda reportedly has a 1772 Pillar 8R, one of two known. The Madrid collection reportedly has a 1729 "Crowned M" Pattern Pillar 8R which is illustrated in Frank Gilboy's "The Milled Columnarios of Central and South America".

There are also many museums that have coins in their collections but I would not call them coin collections because they are not that large. If you ever visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC, there is display on the first floor near the cafeteria with a set of 1839 British Gold proofs (including the famous "Una & The Lion 5 Pounds/5 Sovereign) and a very rare 1818 gold pattern proof crown with an image of the three graces from Greek mythology.

When I visited the British Museum in London in 1999, they had a few coins, mostly ancients. But one of them was also a mint state 1874 South Africa Burgess Pond.

The Dahlonega gold museum in GA has a poorly displayed collection of Dahlonega-minted gold coins. I've been there, but I was disappointed in not being able to see the coins well. They were mounted obverse-out about 3 feet from the glass.
Arrgh! That photo is 2032 pixels wide! 893whatthe.gifwink.gif

Edited: ok, it's been resized to 800px smile.gif

Arrgh! That photo is 2032 pixels wide! 893whatthe.gifwink.gif

Edited: ok, it's been resized to 800px smile.gif

Yes, I accidentally linked to the large version and corrected it a minute later.

The Connecticut State Library Collection is on public display. This is the collection Joseph Mitchelson donated to the Library in 1911 and was kept up to date by State Librarian George Godard.