• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Turn a hobby into a hope!

3 posts in this topic

Hey everyone-

It has been a long time since I have posted, but many years ago I had the misfortune to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. I won't go into the details, and it is not for anyone to feel sorry for me, but I suffered long-term impairment. I was very lucky that day though, and God was looking over me. It was the only way I survived. That is another whole story. Unfortunately this had made for many changes in my life, especially among them my work. I cannot perform the same work that I used to, and I am starting to look for another stream of income that I can count on, and would enjoy doing. I have long enjoyed coin collecting, and selling on ebay, but most of it would be considered on the part of a hobby basis. Selling one thing I had bought, to buy another that I wanted. Lately it has been selling alot just to keep up with the landscandscaping costs and renovations as I get ready to hopefully sell my home. I know many of you are collectors, and some own there own shops. I am looking to start buying some coins, older gold, morgan's etc. in some bulk if possible. Driving around and talking with people is still one of the things I can still do. I have been investigating coin auctions, and estate auctions but I don't know if I am heading in the right direction. I know dealers, and anyone on ebay who has a thriving business does not want to give away the keys to the candystore on how they found there sources of coins, but I would appreciate anyone telling me if going to local auctions around the state, and ANA auctions, etc. if this is the best way to start making contacts to start buying coins so I can turn what was once a hobby into hopefully one day may be a real income.

I know some might think this sounds like a hollow attempt to elicit some pity, and to gain by it. My story is true, and I am just looking for a starting place.

Thanks, John

Maybe you can elicit some valuable information and guidance regarding starting a coin business from some of our chat-room dealers. Most of us here are merely coin collectors with little or no knowledge of what is required to start or be a successful coin dealer. Good Luck !

There is a book called "how to make money in coins right now" or something to that effect. This may be a good start.

Word of caution: If there is one thing I have learned from these forums is that it takes quite some time to develop your coin buisness right.

Good luck!