• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

And THIS geek is supposed to be the EXPERT!!

8 posts in this topic

I read his column in the paper every Saturday. This one is the worst.

Not a word about how much better it would have been to BUY the coin at the coin show. Just a veiled implication of dealer gouging at the show after admittedly being an *spoon* to buy it off a TV show.

http://www.creators.com/lifestylefeatures/peter-rexford.html

makepoint.gif

At last count only around 50,000 of the coins have been found and certified. In the big picture that makes them pretty scarce.

27_laughing.gif

I didn't have the negative reaction you guys did. I think it's just that as coin collectors, we tend to forget the glamor and excitement we present to the rest of the world because we have become so used to it. I think people, like the author of the article, just want a little bit of that for themselves. They want to be beautiful...they want to be a star...they want to feel like Paris Hilton(pre-prison), if just for a little while...like we do everyday, knowing that we have boxes and boxes full of coins. So let's not be too hard on Peter, OK?

The negative reaction I had was due to his handling of the episode. Not only does he sort of CONDONE overpaying to TV hucksters, but he also sort of exonerates their pricing with his laughable estimate of rarity.

A columnist who purports to be an expert on a single purpose column should be held to some fairly high standards, IMO.

He had already done (according to his archives) an ...announcement.. of the Pres dollars. He could have done a far better job of offering a ..proper and prudent.. way to purchase them.

My reaction is that I now give him far less credence as a general numismatic columnist than I did previously.

confused.gif

At the show I spoke to 20 dealers. Eight weren't interested, but 12 took the time to look at my coin. Of those seven made offers to buy it. The high bid was $65. I passed. (I don't think the special display case would have upped that by much, but who's to say?)

I did find one dealer selling virtually the same coin in the same graded condition for $150 apiece — far less than half the price I paid. Even at the lesser price was the coin overpriced or a bargain waiting to happen? Only time will tell.

Imagine that! Selling something for double what your paid for it!

Ever order a soda at a restaurant? Ever buy a shirt at a department store? Somebody welcome him to the real world of business.

At the show I spoke to 20 dealers. Eight weren't interested, but 12 took the time to look at my coin. Of those seven made offers to buy it. The high bid was $65. I passed. (I don't think the special display case would have upped that by much, but who's to say?)

I did find one dealer selling virtually the same coin in the same graded condition for $150 apiece — far less than half the price I paid. Even at the lesser price was the coin overpriced or a bargain waiting to happen? Only time will tell.

Imagine that! Selling something for double what your paid for it!

Ever order a soda at a restaurant? Ever buy a shirt at a department store? Somebody welcome him to the real world of business.

Or a bottle of water

So what we basically have is someone who didn't do their homework before a significant purchase whining about it in print. Someone who's (insert whatever you want here) enough to buy from the home shopping network - folks who are well known for their (cough) honesty, quality, and fair prices. makepoint.gif