• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Absurd?

14 posts in this topic

For some strange reason, a new set of images just popped up while I was veiwing!!!

Completly different coin now...crisp coin images, same holder too.

Don't ask me what is going on, I cannot tell you.

edit: found it, click on the "Quarter 1924 NGC 65 FH" inside the green box...another set of images pops up...until the case is solved.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif looks like two different coins 893whatthe.gif

1836041-c23471571.jpg

They are two different coins Irvin. The picture you posted was already sold

Previous Price History from Teletrade®

Apr 1 2007 Quarter 1924 NGC 65 FH $1008*

* Please note prices include buyer's premium where applicable.

The one Sky is talking about is this one.

c23791436jw6.jpg

c23791436avd1.jpg

Wow, I knew these had date problems, but that is just crazy. No way would I call it a gem, even if it is pretty. Must have had a clogged die, because the rest of the strike is pretty good.

Could be a tapered planchet, or a case of the die faces not being parallel. Can't tell which without removing the coin from the holder.

This coin is decidedly worse than average, but it's not unusual for the so-called "type II" Standing Liberty quraters. The date was set in the die in such a way that even Mint State coins could have dates that were virtually unreadable. I once had a 1920 Standing Liberty quarter in a PCGS MS-63 holder that was VERY choice for the grade, but the date was VERY weak. I bought the coin on the general look, which was very nice, but failed to note the weakness in the date. (Silly me I looked at everything EXCEPT the date.) I sold the coin very quickly, but still the date would have been unreadable on that piece once it reached EF or EF-VF condition.

This is the reason why the mint introduced the recessed "Type III" Standing Liberty quarter in 1925.

Could be a tapered planchet, or a case of the die faces not being parallel. Can't tell which without removing the coin from the holder.

I think Mike nailed it. I agree that the planchet is tapered, based on the quirky lettering at the top of the reverse. Actually, if you examine the shield detail carefully, it's quite a well-struck coin.