• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One of my many silver nickels...

23 posts in this topic

Nice lookin' Jeffs guys! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Hey, can anyone tell me, for full step is it just the steps at the center of Monticello that have to be individually discernable or do the two sets of side steps have to be individually discernable also?

Hey, can anyone tell me, for full step is it just the steps at the center of Monticello that have to be individually discernable or do the two sets of side steps have to be individually discernable also?

Sy, i believe i read something about that on the anacs web page under FAQ. I believe the steps in the center need to be full, either 5 FS or 6 FS thumbsup2.gif

1843338-Picture003.jpg

1843338-Picture005.jpg

1843338-Picture005.jpg.768856485b6edff2ae99fad56033df84.jpg

Sy, i believe i read something about that on the anacs web page under FAQ. I believe the steps in the center need to be full, either 5 FS or 6 FS thumbsup2.gif

I believe you are correct Irvin, with no merging of the steps at any point.

BTW, nice siver nickels all! thumbsup2.gif

A coin only an owner could love!! 27_laughing.gifthumbsup2.gif

Absolutely. And do you notice something funny about it? More than one peculiarity?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hoot

It seems to be missing a mint mark entirely. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

This is a counterfeit. All 1944 "plain" nickels are counterfeit. They are all the wrong composition and none have a MM. The counterfeiter was caught. I can't recall the entire story right now, but these coins were made from transfer dies using a 1944 obverse and a reverse from a pre-wartime coin. Thousands were made but those surviving are not known.

Hoot

I decided to just post my new nickel in the "post your recent acquisition" thread and didn't want to double post my coin.
OK I'll throw mine in to take it's place;

nickel.png

Untitled-3-1.png

Aw, what the heck?

I just upgraded from the first one to the second one: A 1943-D PCGS MS65FS

$25 shipped - how'd I do?

1843330-1943.jpg

Quite an upgrade thumbsup2.gif