• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doug Winter...real nice guy

14 posts in this topic

I've been reading stuff from his site for years. I finally bought a coin from him, but I'll have to use his pic, since I haven't recieved it yet. I'm very excited about it. And I have to say, again, he's a really nice guy. A few places I buy coins from are so freakin cold and impersonal that it annoys me to even buy something from them. Not this seller.

1835548-1882O_10_N55.jpg

Nice coin, but Mike, you are totally out of control. I am talking deep end here. insane.gif27_laughing.gif

Like you, I've been reading the articles on his site and talking to him for several years and finally became a customer last year. I think he's a great guy to deal with!

That's a nice coin - although, personally, I prefer the no-motto eagles.

For some context, he rates the 1882-O eagle as the fifth rarest of the 16 with-motto New Orleans eagles. Out of a mintage of 10,820, he estimates there are about 200-250 survivors, with 42-52 of them in AU condition.

For some context, he rates the 1882-O eagle as the fifth rarest of the 16 with-motto New Orleans eagles. Out of a mintage of 10,820, he estimates there are about 200-250 survivors, with 42-52 of them in AU condition.

Hum, interesting information there. Thanks Dave thumbsup2.gif

The information I gave is from the second edition of DW's Gold Coins of the New Orleans Mint, which was published last year.

For what it's worth, DW has been trying to drum up some interest in the with-motto New Orleans Eagles for at least the past year or two.

Here are a couple of older articles about them from his website:

Date-by-Date analysis

Eagles: 1888 - 1906

And wait a second. Does Mike need to give us all a prize for his 2600th post? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifhi.gif

I have bought more coins from Doug Winter than anyone else, maybe more than everyone else combined. He is a pleasure to work with, and you will undoubtedly like the coin, service, and advice.

I like that coin (from the photo) and think that the pre-1888 NO With Motto eagles (esp 1880, 1881, and 1882) are very underrated.

And wait a second. Does Mike need to give us all a prize for his 2600th post? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifhi.gif

thanks...maybe it's an omen of sorts...maybe the world of chance is telling me I need to switch from collecting busties to collecting gold instead... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And James...you and your time machine insane.gif ... welcome to the 21st century!!!