• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New images:An interesting "guess the grade" coin - guesses from VF 30 to MS64...

71 posts in this topic

This coin was posted on the PCGS forum by "Coinlieutenant" (my thanks to him for a good one!) and grade guesses among respondents have ranged from a low of VF 30 to a high of MS64.893whatthe.gif

How would YOU grade it? and please provide a bit of reasoning/commentary. I will post my guess later - feel free to send me a private message if you would rather know it sooner, instead.

1850ODime.jpg

I have no problem with 63 from the pics. I don't see any glaring luster breaks. By the same token, however, if in hand the luster wasn't there then I would say XF.

I see a weak strike and a bit of wear. I would say AU55 if the luster isn't all there, but if it's bright and shiny, , I could see it as MS63. grin.gif

I don't know how to grade seated material, but I will try anyway. This coin looks to have some rub on the obverse key points, and I wonder about the toning in the right obverse field. Without knowing about the luster, I will guess AU58.

I'll go ahead and list my guess, since we already have a nice big grade guess spread on this forum too. I think we are looking at a weakly struck MS64 example (or thereabouts).

I don't see any obvious evidence of wear/rub and, while I might be mistaken, here is what I believe to be a big clue......The stars on the right side of the obverse have the same color and appearance as that seen on Ms. Liberty's portrait and much of the wreath on the reverse. But, in contrast to that, look at how sharp the stars are on the left side of the obverse. My thinking is that we can't be seeing unworn stars on the left side and worn ones on the right side, so areas of the coin which have that look are merely weakly struck.

It's certainly possible that in focusing largely on that, I have faked myself out. It is also possible that in-hand, the coin shows obvious and considerable wear. However, the images don't show that and the images is all we have to work with.

I myself am having a hard time to convince my eyes at what I'm looking at is a Mint State coin. If it wern't for the high spots being devoid of tone, I would probably be in agreenance. I also know, that the New Orleans branch mint was notorious for weak strikes, so does it fall into that category?

I'm going to have to go with gut feelings and say the images are portraying to me AU-58

If it turns out to be a mint state example, it must be a low number.

This is a good exercise is objectivity.

Mark,

I would guess AU50 at best, I agree this is a weakly struck coin. But both breasts look like wear which would cause the circular flattened pattern and not likely due to a weak strike. This could be way off but I believe the weak strike is giving way to higher than actual grades. JMO.

AU-50 Weak strike, rim ding obverse right side,scratches, hand thru 3rd star, knee and scratch below N and above E reverse confused-smiley-013.gif

I would think it grades a XF-45. I am basing this on what I am seeing as wear on the head, breast and slightly on the legs. The leaves have their detail but also show some slight wear. The stars on the right side as pointed out earlier do stand out. I also compared this to one of mine a little later date that is an AU 58 which has much more detail than this coin overall. Head, Gown, Flag, Leaves, etc.

Rey

First, it clearly has luster remaining, so the lowest possible grade is choice EF (EF45). It has plenty of luster remaining, so I think we can limit ourselves to the AU and Unc range. Wear. I think I see wear on the right breast, left side and thigh, and perhaps the shield. But this could be a weak strike. The reverse OTOH seems to suggest fully Unc, no wear at all. And the difference between the two is more than you would expect on a coin which may show only slight wear on one side. So there is likely a somewhat weak strike involved to explain some of the obverse character. (Of course, it's not very useful to tilt a coin photo.)

If AU, I would call it choice AU or nearly choice AU (55 or 53). If Unc, I would lean towards choice, perhaps nearly choice (63 or 62). That is because the interface between the blue and flame orange toning is a bit jarring to me, and there could be some "issues" in the left obverse field also.

Those weakly struck UNC coins sure do cause problems for some of us folks trying to "Guess the Grade". I'm sorry, but I just can't pay the going rate for a coin like that. That coin looks awesome as an XF to me. I just can't get behind paying MS prices for a coin that lacks so much detail.

Thanks for posting it. I haven't seen it before. It is a great coin for getting one thinking.

At first glance it appears worn but careful inspection reveals well rounded (if lacking in actual detail) highpoints that suggest weak strike. A see what looks like strong luster and scattered marks. If there isn't a touch of wear on liberty's chest, I will go MS63, other wise, AU58.

I agree totally on the weak strike point that Mark makes. I do not see any signs of rub on the high points either. The obverse toning gives the impression of possible slide damage but it is in the wrong place! It should be on the high points, not in the field 893scratchchin-thumb.gif. The reverse gives me no indication of wear or rub. My first impression was an MS63 if uncirculated or an AU58 if not. I can see Mark's grade of a weak MS64 but I lean to the MS63 to be on the conservative side.

I think it is a nice, colorful toned coin with wonderful gold toning and very attractive blue accent. The more I study it, I think it uncirculated unless someone can show me where I am wrong.

Another first class, informative, teaching post!

AU-58 with a weak strike.

Mark's mint state decision may be correct. If the coin is MS, I would max the coin at 63 (or 63 *) due to the strike and contact marks. I would like to hear more why Mark would assign a MS-64 grade.

AU-58 with a weak strike.

Mark's mint state decision may be correct. If the coin is MS, I would max the coin at 63 (or 63 *) due to the strike and contact marks. I would like to hear more why Mark would assign a MS-64 grade.

Then hear you shall wink.gif If you can overcome the lack of detail (due to strike and/or wear) and/to get to mint state something, assigning a grade of MS63 or MS64 should be pretty easy.

I say that because I see a coin which appears to have sufficient luster, very few marks and attractive color. Imagine a coin with the exact same appearance but with more detail...... In fact, the lack of detail (if due to weak strike as opposed to wear) is the only thing that would keep coin from grading (even) higher than MS64 in my opinion.

I can see it in an AU 53 holder...and that's taking into account the weak strike.

893whatthe.gif

I read recently that this coin was Body Bagged for cleaning by PCGS.

Again, without the coin in hand, no definitive grade can be given.

Still, its a pretty looking coin.

It looks like luster break on the main device to me. I'd give it the ol' AU63.

I agree, Lou, and will add that this coin seems to be one of those that requires an in-hand inspection to make a determination, moreso than average, and a great coin to play guess the grade with.

Could be a luster break/wear, could be just the way the coin toned -- I can see both sides of this argument, but lean towards a "market grade" of 63 (maybe 64)..Mike

I said AU50 in the CU thread and am sticking with that grade. Can't say whether it's cleaned or not without having it in hand but regardless, the coin grades AU50.

Hi, MarkFeld

I agree with most of the other members of the forum. Weak strike, slight wear. It is an interesting toned coin but I just can't get over that scrape/rub clean mark to the right of Liberty from the cap to her foot. It looks like it uncovered three scratches so...

I will grade it from the pictures as a XF 45 maybe and AU 50 with luster.

AAJ

I just don't think this is a weak strike issue but honest wear on a beautiful circulated coin. I'm going with AU53 due to obvious wear and marks both obverse and reverse.