• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1877 US Trade Dollar count the chopmarks! Net grade and comments added.

14 posts in this topic

Hi, Everyone hi.gif

Here is a coin that I have been looking for many years, a chop marked US Trade Dollar. It didn't cost that much because of those chop marks. laugh.gif

Care to grade this net certifed TPG coin. How about counting the chopmarks obverse and reverse from the pictures? I liked the backwards "S" on the obverse and the diamond punchout on the reverse. Who ever used that diamond punchout had a nice scam going, free silver! grin.gif

AAJ

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia a little history of this US Trade Dollar coin.

The United States Trade Dollar is a silver dollar coin that was issued by the United States Mint and minted in Philadelphia, Carson City, and San Francisco from 1873 to 1885. Business strikes ended in 1878. The coin was designed by William Barber, the mint's chief engraver. More trade dollars were minted in San Francisco than Carson City and Philadelphia combined. San Francisco was closest both to the source of the silver as well as the ultimate destination of the coins, China. Many Trade Dollars have what are called "chop marks" on them. The Chinese merchants would stamp the coins as a way to check their authenticity and to add their advertising logo. Congress authorized the mint to create a trade dollar to improve trade with the orient, China in particular. Prior to that, the Mexican peso had been the primary silver coin used in trading with China. The US trade dollar was minted of 420 grains (27 g) of silver with a fineness of 900 (90 %), about 8 grains (520 mg) more than the domestic silver dollar of the time.

1877tdo.jpg

1877tdr.jpg

The home made "circle S" punch and I say home made, because the engraver did not take into account to reverse the engraving so it transfered correctly once placed and hammered, is pretty cool.

These are neat to look at, I have a few Mexican Reals loaded with chop marks like this, you know, just about each one can be identified. I once seen a list of names/logos associated with Chinese chop marks but had no means to copy that list. To bad.

How about a net grade of VF-30?

btw: To me, these chop marks automatically authenticate your Trade Dollar for you and thoug even chops can be counterfieted, the chops on the obverse transfered the distortion through to the reverse and visa versa. Counterfiet chopped Trades do not show this disturbance of metal.

Not sure on the grade there Al. Looks like 5 chops on the Obv and 2 on the Rev. I like these with the chopmarks. Kind of cool!

Hi, Everyone hi.gif

This was a tough coin to grade because of the chop marks. Many of you agreed with ANACS, grading it EF details, thanks to all. 893applaud-thumb.gif

The net grade is VG 8 Chopmarked and Damaged. Do you agree with that net grade? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I counted 10 total different chop marks on this coin 8 on the obverse and 2 on the reverse. Thank again for all who took a look at this thread and guessed the amount of chop marks and grade. grin.gif

It is a fun coin to own and show to non-collectors! laugh.gif

AAJ

1877tdanacs.jpg

Hi, Everyone hi.gif

This was a tough coin to grade because of the chop marks. Many of you agreed with ANACS, grading it EF details, thanks to all. 893applaud-thumb.gif

The net grade is VG 8 Chopmarked and Damaged. Do you agree with that net grade? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I counted 10 total different chop marks on this coin 8 on the obverse and 2 on the reverse. Thank again for all who took a look at this thread and guessed the amount of chop marks and grade. grin.gif

AAJ

1877tdanacs.jpg

Send that sucker to PCGS.. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hi, Everyone hi.gif

AAJ

I have to agree with the ANACS assessment. As mentioned above, not all of those are chopmarks. Were it not for that weird grafitti, it would be appropriately graded EF.