• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

whats your opinion on this coin?

15 posts in this topic

Welcome to the forum luck42. It is very hard to grade a raw coin with those distance shots. Probably somewhere around MS-63/64 PL.

Edited to add: I would not spend more than about $30.00 on a raw Morgan but that's just me.

The pics are not large enough for me to feel confident in providing a grade.

The auction, however, has several red flags. A potentially valuable coin raw is the first one. The second being no stated return policy.

This is an auction I would unlikely bid on -- these coins are common enough that you can find one offered from a more reputable seller with a return policy and graded by a TPG which will limit your downside.

Just too much risk for little or no reward and great downside. Pass...Mike

My thoughts are that there is no good reason to bid in an uncertified coin in anywhere near that price range, particularly when the images don't allow for a good look at it. There is likely far more downside than upside and the odds of the former are much greater than those of the latter.

Thanks for the replys. I was thinking the same thing pretty much. Nice looking fields but you really cant tell much about it.
Welcome to the forum - I hadn't realized you just started posting.

Agree with the others – too many red flags. This is one to avoid. Possibly whizzed confused-smiley-013.gif ?
I'm not picking on you in particular, but I see a lot of people throw the "W" (whizzed) word around when, as in the linked listing, there appears to be no evidence of it. That seems unfair to the seller, not to mention, to those whom might rely upon it. OK, I will be quiet for a while now. wink.gif

Agree with the others – too many red flags. This is one to avoid. Possibly whizzed confused-smiley-013.gif ?
I'm not picking on you in particular, but I see a lot of people throw the "W" (whizzed) word around when, as in the linked listing, there appears to be no evidence of it. That seems unfair to the seller, not to mention, to those whom might rely upon it. OK, I will be quiet for a while now. wink.gif

I don’t mind. I actually meant it as a question. Is there a possibility that “dmpl-services” has many uncertified DMPL Morgans because they have been whizzed by either “dmpl-services” or someone else? Could whizzing bring out mirrors like that? It was an honest question 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don’t mind. I actually meant it as a question. Is there a possibility that “dmpl-services” has many uncertified DMPL Morgans because they have been whizzed by either “dmpl-services” or someone else? Could whizzing bring out mirrors like that? It was an honest question 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Whizzing would not make a coin look PL or DPL - it was typically done to simulate mint luster on circulated coins.

Whizzing would not make a coin look PL or DPL - it was typically done to simulate mint luster on circulated coins.

Okay I’ll take your word for it. From what I was reading last night in “Bust Half Fever” whizzing has been used on CBHs in an attempt to move au graded coins up to uncirculated grade coins. It sounded like part of the whizzing process entailed cleaning out the fields to remove any noticeable hits.

When I saw these coins, it seemed to me that a similar process could be used to bring out the mirrors. The small pictures concerned me because one can’t get a good view at the contrast between the fields and the devices to see if there is any metal buildup. Flawed or not, that was my logic.

I really didn’t mean it to be a slanderous question. I was truly thinking about it and wondering what others’ opinions were. I thank you for yours thumbsup2.gif.

Okay I’ll take your word for it. From what I was reading last night in “Bust Half Fever” whizzing has been used on CBHs in an attempt to move au graded coins up to uncirculated grade coins. It sounded like part of the whizzing process entailed cleaning out the fields to remove any noticeable hits.

When I saw these coins, it seemed to me that a similar process could be used to bring out the mirrors. The small pictures concerned me because one can’t get a good view at the contrast between the fields and the devices to see if there is any metal buildup. Flawed or not, that was my logic.

I really didn’t mean it to be a slanderous question. I was truly thinking about it and wondering what others’ opinions were. I thank you for yours thumbsup2.gif.

What you heard about whizzing Bust Halves doesn't really differ from what I mentioned about whizzing, though whizzing is very different from "cleaning". There are processes which are used to alters coins' surfaces to give them a PL appearance, but they also differ from whizzing. And please don't worry - I wasn't accusing you of slander. wink.gif

looks pl and not a high end pl

and also ms 61-62 to me from the photos no way ms63 from the gouges on the cheek

again the above is my guesstimation on the photos

welcome to the boards

also with dmpl morgan dollars many even in third party respected holders leave much to be desired as to grade and dmpl status

and you can only buy these sight seen and know exactly what you are looking at before you buy them

I think you'd be lucky if this coin is even PL - way too much missing frost. I suspect this image has been carefully taken and probably "improved" to make the coin appear nicer than it really is.