• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Talkin' about the blues More examples added

15 posts in this topic

Blue fascinates me on toned coins. Here is an example of a coin that I am in the process of purchasing. This is the seller's picture.

1830625-8Realesmodified..jpg

Can anyone explain how a silver coin acquires this particular type of toning. Is it generally a product of natural, long term processes or is it something that appears when a coin has been dipped and allowed to re-tone? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1830625-8Realesmodified..jpg.5021d36941a7cc045ab9d2c80b1dce15.jpg

I've heard of the tissue paper causing this color with copper coins (so can MS70) but I don't want to go down that road. Does tissue paper have the same affect on silver?

The coin you are sharing looks beautiful, but I wonder how deeply toned it really is in-hand. In other words, I would not be surprised to find out this coin was much darker, and less vibrant blue and violet, in-hand and that significant light was used to capture the colors. Blue, violet and black are the colors that 0.999 fine silver will tone to in a fairly quick manner, but are difficult colors to find on 0.900 fine silver alloyed with 0.100 copper. A blue toned silver coin has experienced significant oxidation in order to turn such a deep color. Also, previously cleaned and/or dipped silver coins can take on blues that are usually associate with golds. The prototype for this previously dipped blue toning would be the circulated CBHs that happily find their way into reputable TPG holders.

Here is a deeply toned Morgan dollar that I own, which was likely stored in a Mint bag for many years. It is actually quite a dark violet and blue in-hand. I have shared the image of this coin previously and it is fairly PL in-hand.

J1881SP64.jpg

J1881SP64R.jpg

Super 81s Tomb cloud9.gifthumbsup2.gif Sometimes i can get that look if i leave it in the silverware Box for awhile and hope Hoot can't find it.1830675-36_1_11.gif

1830675-36_1_11.gif.875359a1629ebc35920a87678cdee1b1.gif

TJ that coin is GREAT!! WOW! For those who do not follow coins from Mexico. 2 things to note about this coin.

1. It is a true uncirculated coin. Back in those times people from Mexico did not have the money usally to collect coins, and the ones that did usally did not. Thus making true uncirculated coins from this time hard to find.

2. This coin is toned. Toning looks to be natural and quite pleasant. I bring this up because most people from Mexico would "shine any old coins they have up to make them pretty. Mint luster is usally not seen at all on these sorts of coins.

An Educated guess would that TJ's coin is from the 1880's and is a mid die state. TJ quickly buy this coin if you have not done so.

I agree with the tissue-paper theory. Paper towels will also cause this lovely color, and I think that it generally occurs naturally on unmolested coins, although I can't think of any reason a dipped coin couldn't also naturally retone with blue colors. That particular example is fantastic!

Nice one TJ, hope you don't mind me posting one here thumbsup2.gif

I have made no adjustments on the image but crop and size.

Comments good or bad welcomed. smile.gif

18938r008obv800x800x600dx1.jpg

18938r009rev800x800x600jo4.jpg

Thanks for all of the responses! Stanley - great coin, thanks for posting it! Tom, your Morgan is very stunning also.

Tom, I'm curious how dark this coin is in hand too. On the other hand, I have a Bridgeport that appears very light and golden in hand but when it is tilted or photographed the blue jumps off the coin. I've posted it before but here it is again:

1831667-PTBarnumBridgeport.jpg

1831667-BridgeportRev2.jpg

I have an 1821 CBH that I purchased from a board member which features the dark blue color and highlighting TomB mentioned. When it is rotated under a light the blue is as vibrant as can be.

1831667-1821BustHalfVF30.jpg

You could never tell this coin was blue, especially in the reverse field from the picture but it has one of the most exquisite shades of blue I've seen in hand on a CBH.

1831667-1821BustHalfVF30.jpg.2d6e4eae24ab94ab734fa62be803d660.jpg

Your Bridgeport appears to have what I call phlegmy toning and I find this to be quite desirable and may be a sign of originality. The CBH you have posted looks far more original than the dipped white CBHs I was writing about earlier.

Another example of blue toning. My avatar is a 1967 Proof South African Rand. The blue jumps out when photographed or rotated under light but is otherwise hidden.

1831807-1967SouthAfricanRandRev..jpg

This is the obverse from the original Mexican coin that was posted. It is more orange/gold than blue. 1831807-1891ModifiedCompressedOBV8Reales.jpg

1831807-1891ModifiedCompressedOBV8Reales.jpg.33999fd1dea83ea5b8c3e3825844c268.jpg