• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

~ SF Type Set Tracking Thread ~

22 posts in this topic

Well, after some thought I've decided to sell off the handfull of coins in my AU 19th Century Type Set and go ahead and do this San Francisco Type Set instead. I'm pretty excited about it and think it should be very fun and take a good amount of time to complete. For budget reasons I'll not be doing the gold coins. Below are the coins I'm including in the set. When a new coin is obtained I'll post pics to this thread. All of the coins will range from VF20-VF35 and will have a nice eye appealing crust. This is going to be fun.

$1 Peace

$1 Morgan

$1 Trade

$1 Seated No Motto

$1 Seated w/Motto

50¢ Franklin

50¢ Walking Liberty

50¢ Barber

50¢ Seated No Motto

50¢ Seated w/Arrows

50¢ Seated w/Motto

25¢ Washington

25¢ Standing Liberty Type 1

25¢ Standing Liberty Type 2

25¢ Barber

25¢ Seated No Motto

25¢ Seated w/Arrows

25¢ Seated w/Motto

20¢ Seated

10¢ Roosevelt

10¢ Mercury

10¢ Barber

10¢ Seated

10¢ Seated w/Arrows

H10¢ Seated

5¢ Jefferson

5¢ Jefferson Silver

5¢ Buffalo Type 1

5¢ Buffalo Type 2

5¢ Liberty

1¢ Lincoln VDB

1¢ Lincoln Wheat

1¢ Lincoln Steel

1¢ Indian

Yup, it's a San Francisco Mint type set. Requisites to be in the set are circulation strike only, pre-1964, no gold and all S mint coins.

This will be an interesting voyage to say the least Cladiator...good luck.

Even for a type set, there are some very valuable/rare coins with-in this set.

I will start:

5¢ Jefferson: 1953-S Jefferson Nickel w/Full Steps

5¢ Jefferson Silver: 1945-S Jefferson Nickel w/Full steps

WJ, if you are looking for value-added designations in this set you should look at the 1953-S Franklin in FBL. 893whatthe.gif However, the set has been defined as VF20-VF35 and this would preclude such designations.

There most definitely are some pricey coins that could be included but I won't really have to tackle those. By doing the set all in the VF range each coin should fall into my budget range and each coin will match in appearance (nice crusty/original). I'm going to try and stay away from any rarities when possible to keep the cost down. The most expensive coins are going to be the 1909S VDB cent, 1912S nickel and the two Seated dollars. All doable though, if I keep to the VF criteria.

>>However, the set has been defined as VF20-VF35 and this would preclude such designations.

Yes, TomB these grades would not be able to hold the high rarity values...I was looking beyond I guess.

Cladiator>> by doing the set all in the VF range each coin should fall into my budget range and each coin will match in appearance

This makes a whole lot of sense.

Why not use a later date wheat where the added the VDB back. Why make it a 1909?
Wow, shows you how much I know about small cents. I was under the impression that 1909 was the only year with the VDB. What other years carry that marking?

a great cool set this type set of s mints

lots of value and opportunity, collectibility, desirability and history

cloud9.gif

a greswt type set of different coins and a neat set to view in hand when done

for me a really ultra cool wise choice thumbsup2.gif

cool.gifcool.gifcool.gifcool.gifcool.gifcool.gifcool.gifcool.gifcool.gifcool.gifcool.gifcool.gif

The VDB was added to the area between the rim and shoulder on the obverse in 1918.
Ok, understand now. The 1943 and possibly my example of the regular Wheat cent will have the VDB by the shoulder. The 1909S should still be required for the VDB on the reverse.

ps. Thanks Michael wink.gif

pps. I may have found my first coin. An 1869S Dime in PCGS VF35, original and crusty. Will post pics if/when I get it.

COOL! Sounds like fun. Have a good time putting it together. One question, while I can certainly appreciate a set where all coins are in the same general condition, various of those coins can be found in a nice unc. condition for well under $100, do you want any of those sorts of coins?

One question, while I can certainly appreciate a set where all coins are in the same general condition, various of those coins can be found in a nice unc. condition for well under $100, do you want any of those sorts of coins?
I've seen type sets that have some coins in beautiful uncirculated condition and nice crusty circulated coins. Honestly I find that to be a bit distracting. I'm a big fan of matching sets..all unc or all circs but that's just me. Some folks do type sets the other way and they love it, totally cool with me. That's the beauty of a type set, you can pick and chose how to do the set to please your individual wants and needs.

What a neat idea for a type set! I'd like to do one in gold, that would be fun, or maybe choose a different mint, or all mints! Oh no, the ADHD is kicking in again!!!

This would be the coins in a SF mint gold type set...

$20 St. Gaudens

$20 Liberty Type I

$20 Liberty Type II

$20 Liberty Type III

$10 Indian

$10 Liberty No Motto

$10 Liberty w/Motto

$5 Indian

$5 Liberty No Motto

$5 Liberty w/Motto

$3 Indian

$2.5 Liberty

$1 Liberty Type 1

$1 Liberty Type 2

$1 Liberty Type 3

Sounds like 7070 with a twist.
It's missing several that would be in a 7070, I think. Like the Large Cent, Half Cent, Two Cent, Three Cent nickel, Three Cent silver, Bust Half Dime/Dime/Quarter/Half Dollar, Shield nickel and Flying Eagle Cent.