• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coins exposed to a smoking environment

2 posts in this topic

I just received a coin today that has obviously been in a smoking environment. It does not look like it has altered the surface in any way but the smell is so strong up close that it is really noticeable. Is there a safe way to "defumigate" a coin?

We have received many coins that have been in the collections of heavy smokers in the past. Most often these coins have a thick dulling yellow to brown residue and an unmistakable odor. When we have received these coins in their original holders, these too have the same coloring and smell.

The first step, which I am sure you have already done at least once, is to change the coin's holder.

After that, I would not be able to suggest any home remedies to conserve a coin yourself. At NCS, we have had success in removing the residue and fragrance from similar coin.

Chris, NCS