• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GENUINE OR ALTERED ?

8 posts in this topic

I am attaching two pictures from a current e-bay auction for two 1921 Mercury dimes. The first is of a 1921-P the second is of a 1921-D. Both are described as being in MS FSB condition. Both have recieved multiple bids. As you can see from the attached pictures both coins in question have later die state style 1`s and closed 9`s. It is my opinion that both examples are altered dates. I am of the school of thought that all genuine pieces have flared bottom concave 1`s and open 9`s that is to say that the loop of the 9 does not touch it self. I contacted the seller who responded that the coins were deemed genuine by a certified A.N.A. dealer. I would like to know the opinions of this forum as to whether you feel they are genuine examples or fakes.

243055-21.jpg.4edc5b550659c5e2e1ccdecdb6cd9227.jpg

Photos are of too poor a quality to tell much of anything. Strike one!

Coins should be slabbed but aren't. Strike two.

Seller seems to have evaded answering your question about being genuine by referring to an opinion by an "ANA certified dealer" (whatever that is). Strike three.

re: an opinion by an "ANA certified dealer" (whatever that is). Strike three.

Yea, it's like the statement: "We grade by ANA / Photograde standards". Horse dookie! Everytime that I've heard that line, the coin has been overgrade by at least one if not two grades.

Michael made a statement to me one time that seemed harsh at the time. He states emphatically that Photograde is not a reliable grading source since it usually overgrades the coins.

Mike, open a coin shop, please! I'll just buy from you. crazy.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Question:

My 1921 P Mercury grades VG but the left side of the obverse is very weakly struck (the side Miss Liberty is facing). Is this common?

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Closed loops on numeral 9 are a tip-off that these dimes weren't made in 1921. The fully closed 9 didn't appear until 1928, though the 1926-27 dimes have it nearly closed.