• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let's See Some World Gold

88 posts in this topic

Very nice ones John, Bob and Roy. Gold is so varied from the different countries, always nice to view.

Silvereagle2 - The reason I inquired about the grade of the 1912 is because I also have one. I have not sent it in for grading and was just curious. Here are images if it.

Rey

1912Canadian5HalfSovereignObv.jpg

1912Canadian5HalfSovereignRev.jpg

Silver Eagle,

The 1912 has not been graded. Here is a newer image which better depicts the coin.

Rey

1912CanadianFiveDollarObv-3.jpg

1912CanadianFiveDollarRev-2.jpg

Silver Eagle,

These pictures do show the details much better and yes it has quite a few. I updated the images once more. This is one of a set of 7 coins that were put together as a display of the 12, 13 and 14 Five and Ten Dollar Pieces that were minted in Ottowa. I am in the process of reimaging all seven and will post one I get the images right.

This reverse, the old Canadian coat of arms superimposed upon two boughs of maple is my second favorite after the Sovereign Reverse we all know.

Rey

Here is some history and further images related to the previous post with the 1912 C Canadian $5 Gold coin. The Ottawa Mint was a branch of the Royal Mint in London and during the years of 1912 through 1914 minted both $5 Gold and $10 Gold in addition to the One Pound (Seovereigns) minted there as well. All carry the C mint mark. Production of the $5 and $10 Gold coins was halted in 1914 when Canada adapted new wartime legistation to restrict the flow of gold. The Obverse of these show George V and the reverse, the old Canadian Coat of arms superimposed on two boughs of maple. Mintage of the 1912, 1913 and 1914 was 165,680 98,832 and 31,122 respectively. Here are images of a 1913 and 1914 $5 Gold to accompany the previous 1912.

Rey

1913CanadianFiveDollarObv.jpg1913CanadianFiveDollarRev.jpg

1914CanadianFiveDollarObv.jpg1914CanadianFiveDollarRev.jpg

As a follow up to the previous post, here are images of the 1912, 1913 and 1914 $10 Gold coins which were minted at the Ottawa Mint a branch of the Royal Mint in London. The designs for the $10 were the same for the $5 except for the change in value. As with the $5 Gold, the minting of these were halted in 1914, three short years.

Rey

1912CanadianTenDollarObv-1.jpg1912CanadianTenDollarRev-1.jpg

1913CanadianTenDollarObv.jpg1913CanadianTenDollarRev.jpg

1914CanadianTenDollarObv.jpg1914CanadianTenDollarRev.jpg

Question on those young head sovereigns. I saw that the UK mint is selling a stash of jubilee sovereigns for some pretty steep prices. What's the deal with the jubilees?

Question on those young head sovereigns. I saw that the UK mint is selling a stash of jubilee sovereigns for some pretty steep prices. What's the deal with the jubilees?

I am not familiar with this, so I am afraid I can't provide any insight.

Rey

Crito,

That is an interesting coin, I have never seen one before. Are you able to post larger images of both the obverse and reverse of it?

I have been going through my Sovereigns sorting by condition, etc. I have only had one graded in the past, for reference purposes only which came back as MS 65.

This one is in better condition and is probably the best uncirculated GeorgeV Sovereign that I have.

Rey

1925GeorgeVSovereignObv1.jpg1925GeorgeVSovereignRev1.jpg

The design is exactly the same as the regular issue one drachma. This one is just proof and made of gold. Arrived at NGC yesterday so should be back in about three weeks, at which time I'll take better pictures. My Sovereign probably won't grade as high as yours -- I had it pegged at MS64 -- but I needed to send something else to use up my Collectors' Society grading coupon and it was sitting there looking all flashy and original, so in it went with the rest.