• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1916s Walking Liberty Half...First year of issue

11 posts in this topic

Hi folks, first year issue coins have always been very appealing to me. This 1916s is in a PCGS holder graded AU58. I also agree with the assigned grade.

You will probably notice (although the image is shrunk down for the board) it has a grainy/satin/textured type surface. Many of the 1916 and 1917 had this type of orange peel like surfaces.

It has decent luster as well. The 1916s Walker is I believe ranked about fourth (please don't hold me to this) as far as lowest overall mintage for the Walker series, at 508,000.

For whatever that is worth.

Don't know if I'd call it a rare coin, but might be safe to say scarce. Just thought I'd share this.

The mint mark is on the obverse under the motto on the 1916's and some of the 1917 Walkers. Just trying to make this thread a bit educational.

Please see above attachment for the image. smile.gif

589a8b20c0390_242638-1916sPcgsau58Walkingliberty.jpg.dbec51836d13d237b009f27c68b88b03.jpg

That's a very attractive coin! smile.gif It looks like it was in an album for many years.

Although not a rare issue, the '16-S ranks up there as one of the toughest to find in the series in an attractive, problem-free state regardless of grade. The surface texture you refered to I actually find very attractive and this same surface is on many Mercs through the mid-'20s.

This is a wonderful, original coin with beautiful toning. The strikes on the 1916 coins are at par with the 1917 issues. { Its the later dated coins that show lack of detail, you know, the master hub and the working dies coming off of it.} My 1916-S, ( graded 58 by ANACS) should look so good !!!

Thanks for the compliments on this piece. I've owned it for I believe a month or two. I bought this one as well as another original toned 41 Walker. Wasn't looking for the 16s, but as soon as I seen it I put my name on it right away. I really like this 16s in au58 grade.

Truthteller... hey thanks for the offer, but she's not for sale at this time.

stman - I'm sorry to tell you but that's my coin. Please return to me ASAP. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Thanks for the educational notes!

Hoot

Truthteller... hey thanks for the offer, but she's not for sale at this time.

Hey, screw Truthteller, when that coin is for sale I want first shot! Truthteller will lie and low ball you on the coin. Don't tell him I said that though.. laugh.gif

jom

A very attractive coin. Walkers can be tough to find with a look like that. At least I've found them to be tough to locate.

Thanks for the pic!