• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HELP!!! Pictures

27 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, hi.gif

I was going to take pictures of some of my coins but I just cant get the ngc coins to come out right. I got the pcgs coins down pretty good.

Can anyone tell me what kind of scanner or camera they use.

My scanner also sucks and wont scan the ngc coins or the pcgs coins.

Any help would be great!!

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks SchatzyJr

Digital Cameras are the way to go. I use a Canon 30D and get great results. You can use a much cheaper camera and get good results.

Here is a sample shot.

cu1.jpg

Dont use a flash, use a stand with desk lamps focused on the surface of the coin. The more light the better the pic.

The reason why you are have probs with NGC coins is because of the white insert, it has a tendency to throw off the white balance on the camera. Set it manunally until the exposure looks correct.

Coin photography is ALL trial and error. You can get great pics from the most amateur equipment and set up.

Good-luck,

Michael

Thanks Michael,

I got a cheap sony digital camera and it just isn't cutting it. I tried not using the flash and had lights focused on the coins and all I get is fuzz. I cant get the writing on the top to look right.

I guess I will buy a better camera someday.

Thanks SchatzyJr

Thanks Michael,

I got a cheap sony digital camera and it just isn't cutting it. I tried not using the flash and had lights focused on the coins and all I get is fuzz. I cant get the writing on the top to look right.

I guess I will buy a better camera someday.

Thanks SchatzyJr

Do you have a dedicated Macro setting on the camera?

If you don't need all-star photography, many decent cameras can be had for under $500. I use a $100 camera and get decent results.

If you don't need all-star photography, many decent cameras can be had for under $500. I use a $100 camera and get decent results.
juggle.gif

poke2.gif

You can get a Digtal Rebel used, since they do not make them new anymore. I have one that I shot 16,000 shots though and it works great. These can be had used for less that 500.00 That would be the way I would go. You will get some killer photos. Not only of coins, but everyday life as well. The Camera is 6.3 MP and killer.

juggle.gif

poke2.gif

popcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gif

No

That shot you see that I posted was not taken with any macro lens.

No Then when you go yo buy your next one make sure you get one with a Macro setting..Who has a link to the wynk thread for picture taking

No Then when you go yo buy your next one make sure you get one with a Macro setting..Who has a link to the wynk thread for picture taking

This one?

No

Then when you go yo buy your next one make sure you get one with a Macro setting..Who has a link to the wynk thread for picture taking

This one? Click here and say Thank You Monkey Man... Nice job MM

Edited to add pendragon1998 to the Thank you list. thumbsup2.gif

As said before, taking pics of coins are trial and error. My first pics were with an old olympus digital. The macro setting was not very good. I used a 5x maginifier over the lens and took very nice pics. The two light system is a must. One on each side of the coin to give more light and to omit shadows on the sides of the coin. I presently use a canon S3IS which has a great SuperMacro setting and takes very large pics for cropping out coin details. That cost me about $450. I also have some 1x, 2x, 4x, macro lenses for taking in normal mode. This enables me to take pics a little further away in case I need more light and then gives the option of zooming in. There are inexpensive ways of taking pics. You at least need a digital camera. Like I stated before, you can use a magnifying glass over the lens to get good close-ups if your camera doesn't have very good settings for this. Lighting is essential. Two lights. I like OTT lights but have gotten great pics with normal lighting also. I've deleted many many pics trying to get the right one. You will too! Practice, Practice, Practice! thumbsup2.gif

More import than your camera or lights, is knowing how to use both. You can have the best camera in the world and nice lights and still take crappy coin shots. You can also have a lesser camera with ok lighting and take great pics. If you do not want to buy lights right away use the sun. It works great!

I am using a Canon S2-IS. It is a 5 megapixel camera with 12x OPTICAL zoom and a built-in macro setting. It is no longer made, so you may find it cheap on the secondary market. I paid $300 new.

The Canon S5-IS is the current model. It is an 8 megapixel camera with 12x OPTICAL zoom, built-in macro, and adds a hot shoe for Canon's external flash options. This replaced the the S3-IS, which was 6 megapixels without the hot shoe.

Both the S2 and S3 can be purchased on the secondary market for cheaper than the newer S5, and are both perfectly wonderful cameras. In fact, a quick lookup of digital cameras at cnet.com found these places to buy the S3-IS:

Of the three, I would buy from Willoughbys. They are an old and respected store in New York. Since they are in New York, don't expect the touchy-feely customer service. You will get the New York attitude (I love it) but you will also get New York prices (cheaper on electronics... which I will not go into why here). But it's up to you, of course!

That's my opinion. insane.gif

Scott hi.gif

Heres a shot of the setup I use. It's a Nikon D200 with a Nikon 105mm, f2.8 lens. The flash system is three independently controlled heads. This allows you to control shadows and highlights, and put the light where it's needed. I don't use the flash for all shots. Dark or strongly toned coins like the Fugio cent or Morgan dollar reverse do better with longer shutter speeds. For those I use standard light bulbs.

Some important considerations when getting a macro setup are:

Working distance - The distance between the front lens element and the object being photographed. If the distance is too short it's hard to get enough light in the right places.

Pre-set white balance - This is more accurate than auto, or other in-camera WB settings.

Ability to shoot raw - You will find that raw shots will have better detail and color rendition.

71126333.jpg

71125415.jpg

71795616.jpg

64797129.jpg

67827627.jpg