• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the true value of these coins?

19 posts in this topic

I have aquired a 2005 $5.00 gold eagle MS70 NGC Certified, and a 2007 early release $5.00 gold eagle ms69 also ngc certified. PCGS has their 2005 ms70 gold eagle valued at $475.00. With me being new to collecting coins I want to sell these and continue my silver eagle ms69 collection I have 1986 thru 1992. How can I maximize my return, so I can get more silver eagles ms 69 NGC certified to complete my collection? I welcome any and all suggestions sumo.gif

Welcome to the forum oldscottcoins. According to prices realized on Ebay your 2005 coin is worth about $100.00. Your 2007 coin is worth about $80.00. PCGS MS-70 bullion coins sell for a lot more than NGC MS-70 coins. That being said, a 2005 PCGS $5.00 Gold Eagle sold for $275.00 on Ebay. To maximize your returns on coins, go by the prices realized on Ebay, Heritage Auctions, etc. Don't go by PCGS' price guide.

Thanx for the welcomeand thanx for the tip! Ebay can't be the best way to price coins though! I have seen a huge flux in the way coins are sold on FeeBay! If the auction closes in the middle of the week a coin could sell for much less then one that closes on saturday morning. I would never auction a coin anyway, because if there is a reserve then the seller gets only a few bids, and if you don't have one then the seller loses his butt. The only one that makes out good on Ebay is Ebay.

Welcome Scott,

The advice you received from Carl is exactly right. I have many coins slabbed by NGC that are worth less than 40% real world prices compared to PCGS prices. Please heed his advice and use EBAY or Heritage Auction prices to know what the coins are more than likely worth. Good luck and again welcome to the forum.

Thanx for the welcomeand thanx for the tip! Ebay can't be the best way to price coins though! I have seen a huge flux in the way coins are sold on FeeBay! If the auction closes in the middle of the week a coin could sell for much less then one that closes on saturday morning. I would never auction a coin anyway, because if there is a reserve then the seller gets only a few bids, and if you don't have one then the seller loses his butt. The only one that makes out good on Ebay is Ebay.

I have sold over 1000 coins on eBay and never once have I lost my butt. I have taken a loss on coins on eBay but that is the nature of selling coins - sometimes there is a market and sometimes that market is soft. For example - I am currently selling PF69 2007 Silver Eagles for less than I paid for them. Sure I am taking a loss on them, but that is because PF69s do not command a premium - I knew this. It isnt eBay's fault. Any loss I take is from my own lapse in strategic buying or is an expected loss due to grading results. If I could sell every coin at a profit I would be super rich! YAY!

Welcome...

I too have sold [and purchased] coins from eBay and I will probably continue to do so. There are certainly alot of pitfalls, but if you know what to look for some decent deals can be had and some decent money can be made. I've sold for profit as well as endured loss on some coins...I think it's just the nature of the beast. Overall, I think I'm a bit ahead of the game...Leo

All of you are great, and I value your opinions alot. I guess I should have collected PCGS coins instead. lol!! I thought after all the research that I did NGC was the best choice. I was dead wrong huh? Oh well!
Not at all....Both are on par in most cases when dealing with Grading and Attribution...The only reason pcgs is,In some cases, a MORE EXPENSIVE PIECE OF PLASTIC Is because the person doing the collecting hasn't figured out that he is paying more for the plastic and nothing for the coin.

The coin will always stand on it's own..

Just for your information though, There are a few series that NGC is much harder on....Franklins FBL and Jefferson Full Step designation to name 2.

Enjoy your coins. And Welcome. thumbsup2.gif

Why are the 2005 Silver Eagles in MS70 worth more in an NGC case then the 2005 $5.00 gold eagle MS70. Can anyone make sense of that for me? makepoint.gif
PCGS has an artificialy low amount of of MS70's..If you will notice , pcgs will not grade any Silver Eagle as MS70..For fear of spotting...So weather the coin rates the 70 designation or not it can Never achieve it at pcgs...

This will now be refered to as selective Shelldon scaleing...PCGS creates thier own demand...But Again,,It's plastic.

Why are the 2005 Silver Eagles in MS70 worth more in an NGC case then the 2005 $5.00 gold eagle MS70. Can anyone make sense of that for me? makepoint.gif
PCGS has an artificialy low amount of of MS70's..If you will notice , pcgs will not grade any Silver Eagle as MS70..For fear of spotting...So weather the coin rates the 70 designation or not it can Never achieve it at pcgs...

This will now be refered to as selective Shelldon scaleing...PCGS creates thier own demand...But Again,,It's plastic.

I will also tell you to look at thier price guide..If you EVER have a problem with any of thier coins and expect them to give you thier own price guide value then, Well I can only say ,Good Luck thumbsup2.gif

It all comes down to the Coin...Enjoy your hobby.. popcorn.gif

Probably has to do with population. NGC has graded 7782, 2005 $5.00 Eagles MS-70. They have graded 2955, 2005 Silver Eagles MS-70.

IMHO, and contrary to Maulemall's and 123cents' responses, the difference in prices between these two coins is demand based, and has little to nothing to do with the difference in grading standards between PCGS and NGC nor the population of said coins.

Said simply, there are more collectors of SAEs than modern gold Eagles...Mike

All of you are great, and I value your opinions alot. I guess I should have collected PCGS coins instead. lol!! I thought after all the research that I did NGC was the best choice. I was dead wrong huh? Oh well!

You were wrong to place your confidence in either PCGS or NGC. Both are falable.

Until and unless you are capable of grading coins yourself, you would be well-served to not buy ANY coins of signficant value.

To place your trust in any TPG is a sure way to end up on the short end of the stick when it comes time to sell...Mike

Just for your information though, There are a few series that NGC is much harder on....Franklins FBL and Jefferson Full Step designation to name 2.

And those are the only two examples... Coincidentally, they are (meaningless) modern strike designations....

For the vast majority of other series, historically PCGS is the tighter grading service, and the market price of coins in their respective holders bears this fact out.

In the end, to rely solely on TPGs for anything other than authentication is a path to ruin...Mike

I have aquired a 2005 $5.00 gold eagle MS70 NGC Certified, and a 2007 early release $5.00 gold eagle ms69 also ngc certified. PCGS has their 2005 ms70 gold eagle valued at $475.00. With me being new to collecting coins I want to sell these and continue my silver eagle ms69 collection I have 1986 thru 1992. How can I maximize my return, so I can get more silver eagles ms 69 NGC certified to complete my collection? I welcome any and all suggestions sumo.gif

You could try and cross the coins to PCGS plastic, but without proper grading skills it is unlikely you'd be successful and the difference in price is not great enough to warrant the risk and shipping costs.

IMHO, you should just sell the coins in their NGC plastic and use the proceeds to purchase SAEs...Mike

p.s. the PCGS pricing guide is RETAIL PRICING FROM DEALERS, and not how much you (as a collector) can necessarily sell them for.