• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on grading the presidential dollars

2 posts in this topic

I"m not sure if this is the right place to ask, or if I'm committing a major faux-paus. So in my usual style I'll do it then beg for forgiveness, later.

When your grading a presidential dollar does the reverse count as much as the obverse? How do the edges and rims count towards the grading, or does it only detract if there is something "unseemly". How did your grading change compared to the Sacs that you've been doing for a while.

I'm asking because I'm trying to apply the documented grading standards (ANA, and various other books) to these new coins.

We grade Presidential dollars like other coins, hits, scratches, ticks, luster, coloration and other issues all count when grading the coin. I would recommend actually looking at the coins to see differences in condition. Also looking at coins already graded by NGC and seeing what we are calling MS64, MS65, MS66 and MS67, this will give you a guideline as to how the coins grade in relation to each other. Without handing coins you will never learn how to grade them, no matter how much material you read.

Jay Turner

NGC Grader and Attributor