• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1983 P Quarter...

43 posts in this topic

These are the same thoughts as I posted ATS. The portrait appears to have slide marks on it and I could see this coin grading anywhere from AU58 to MS64.

There are no slide marks in hand.
How about when laid down on the table?

yeahok.gif

None there as well...

Looks about AU 58 to me. Not much for grading washingtons. Nice!

I will say this coin is MS but that is all for now.

I guess what would be throwing me off is the absence of breast and leg feathers,unless the pic is not bringing them out good enough. If so, then yes this would fall into MS range.

I guess what would be throwing me off is the absence of breast and leg feathers,unless the pic is not bringing them out good enough. If so, then yes this would fall into MS range.

What you see is weak strike. smile.gif

What you see is weak strike. smile.gif

Now I know why I haven't started my washington collection yet. 27_laughing.gif Thanks for the info Bruce!

Cheek,jaw, neck, curl in hair, top of head,leg on eagle, wing. Of course that could be a deceiving photo. confused-smiley-013.gif

Lighting issues....

Sy, What you are seeing is the die errosion on this coin.

I would grade this coin AU58. I feel there is wear evident on obverse hair and reverse breast, not a weak strike. IMHO.

I would grade this coin AU58. I feel there is wear evident on obverse hair and reverse breast, not a weak strike. IMHO.

I will state this coin is 100% MS Look at the 83 P's around.

Based on the commercial services lack of concern for die abrasion, I'd expect it's in a 5 holder, or will be. Finding one that's well centered, well struck, and fairly mark free with strong luster is a challenge. The coin below is my set coin, and I put it up only to contrast the strength of IGWT.

83p%20002.jpg

Don every time I see that coin I think WOW! Nice Dansco toning as well. One thing I like about mine is the fact that it is really clean hit wise. My coin is also in a Dansco.

Thanks Bruce. For what it's worth, mine has a small hit on the breast that limits the grade. Yours looks pretty clean. Good luck with your submission.

This piece is definitely MS65 and could be a 66, depending on how clean the cheek is in person. It's a solid coin for the date, which is notoriously discolored from die grease. Yours doesn't have an accessive amount of such discoloration, though what many have mistaken for wear in the pics is likely grease haze. Without that haze, it could be an MS67, though its very hard to tell from here, and the strike is only average.

The problem with grading a coin like this from a photo is the inabillity to rotate the coin and see what the luster does across the areas in question. Obviously if the coin is weakly struck but MS the luster will roll across those areas, but if there is wear it will be evident when the luster breaks. If there are no luster breaks as you say, and based on what looks like a couple of hits due east of the eye and on the cheek, I will say MS-64.

JJ