• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading standards comments

4 posts in this topic

Hi Friends, I just wanted to let you know my experience with NGC Coin grading my Soft Blue Packs. As you know by now NGC has started to grade the NON CC SOFT BLUE PACKS. I sent in a dozen Peace dollars for grading. They graded 75% and sent the others back with a BS excuse. Cleaned, Environmental Damage and Obverse damage were the 3 reasons. I tried to reason with them. They are using the same grading criteria with these coins as they do with MS coins. As I said to them, there is no way you can use those guidelines to grade these coins. After all, these coins are the rejects and culls removed from the mint bags by the GSA way back when. They were perhaps cleaned. Some kid wiped off a dirty Pease Dollar in 1927 to take his girl to the movies. The Environmental damage was just dirt. Just as simple as that. Plain old DIRT. They didn't clean the coin before the put it into the cellophane. The last one of Obverse damage was the same bag chatter we see in almost all GSA coins. One coin rubbing against the other. As I said it is a bunch of BS.

Gary

[MODERATOR NOTE: MOVED FROM THE REGISTRY BOARD TO HERE, BECAUSE THAT'S WHERE IT BELONGS. DELETED DUPLICATES.]

Well, I don't know much about Peace dollars or soft blue packs, but I had quite a bit of disappointment in the early 1990's with Liberty Nickels. I collected "raw" coins from a local coin dealer who "claimed" to ordered much of his inventory from Coast to Coast Coins, although I don't know for certain that Coast to Coast was ever involved, I've never bought coins from them since because of this dealer.

All of these coins were claimed to be original Gem Uncirculated. After a couple years I sent them to NGC, eight graded MS61 to MS62 (not what I would call GEM) and six were body-bagged. I remember the little white paper on the flips like it was yesterday. "Foreign residue" and "cleaned" scribbled in ink on those nasty little white papers. I was so angry with NGC, they clearly new nothing, after all my local coin dealer told these were pristine.

That was quite an education for me. It caused me to really dive in to the grading and condition of the Liberty Nickels and over then next couple years as I learned more I realized NGC was pretty accurate.

Like I said earlier I know nothing about your coins, so I am not challenging what you are saying, I don't know, but I can tell you that over the past 10 years NGC has proven to me over an over again they are fair, reputable and they try hard.

Maybe once in a while they might get it wrong, for example I am positive every coin they ever graded for me as a MS69 is actually a MS70 devil.gif, but still I have never felt there was any BS on their part, intentional or otherwise.

Just offering my thoughts as I see "you just go here", take it for whatever its worth to you.

Good luck with those Peace Dollars!

As I said to them, there is no way you can use those guidelines to grade these coins. After all, these coins are the rejects and culls removed from the mint bags by the GSA way back when.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif I’m not quite sure what you mean by this statement. Are you saying that you believe that a different standard should be applied to grading these coins compared to others? If so why, and what standard would you feel was fair to use?

John

<<After all, these coins are the rejects and culls removed from the mint bags by the GSA way back when.>>

Going into this knowing full well the condition of these Silver Dollars, I think you answered your own question with this statement. And you want a grading service to stick out thier neck to plant a grade on a reject or a cull? Not going to happen.

Yeah these coins were sorted out from the better uncirculated Morgans and finally sold off as 90% silver with a very small numismatic premium. If you thought you were going to make a killing off these, you are/were mistaken.

If you are buying these soft packs off e-bay or a dealer and they are telling you that they are more than what they turn out to actually be...well then, you need to go back to the source and not blame NGC or any other grading company for the condition of these GSA coins.

Sorry, your pretense is nothing more than a rant.