• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it sacrilege to crack a coin in a Jules Reiver slab?

11 posts in this topic

Of course not. Those slabs were temporary holders for his collection. I'd bet that a majority of his collection has been liberated as an homage to the man and his coins.

Is it sacrilege to crack a coin in a Jules Reiver slab?

nope!!!!!! not in the least.............. as most coins in these pedigree slabs were nothing special to begin with and now even moreso in the overrated grading opinions/designations on the slabs......... actually an insult to the man a true collector that never wanted anything slabbed to begin with so not a good legacy to his name or collection.........

but of course i respect the fact that they are only little pieces of inconsquential metal and need to be slabbed for more market selling prices to collectors collector/investors and new buyer investor collectors as the family wants to suqeeze as much as they can out of the selling process as it is only about the money

and i must admit the auction company that handled this estate did a better than incredible job for the family in terms of not only bottom line but in promotion and other important aspects proven by the fact that most coins brought way more than they were worth in any other selling venue at the time

the auction company did better than an incredible job at presenting and selling this collection thumbsup2.gif

amazing 893applaud-thumb.gif

I have a gold dollar with his name on the slab, but I will probably keep it that way just to have a piece of his collection with provenance. I think that I only have a couple slabbed coins with provenance, having sold all the others.

My answer is "maybe". If you retained Jules' original holder (2x2, manila envelope, whatever), then crack away. But if all you have is the slab, I would think twice if it's a common coin. Of course, most of his in that sale are recognizable for their die-variety significance.

My answer is "maybe". If you retained Jules' original holder (2x2, manila envelope, whatever), then crack away. But if all you have is the slab, I would think twice if it's a common coin. Of course, most of his in that sale are recognizable for their die-variety significance.

I agree...the coin may get bid up at auction if you have proof of pedigree, so I wouldn't crack unless I had that envelope.

perhaps cracking it out is what Jules Reiver would have wanted anyway.

I've seen some that were crossed over to PCGS, and they just don't have the 'feel' as they do in the NGC slabs. I guess I associate NGC too much with the Jules Reiver coins in general.