• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Father of Many Patterns: The Gobrecht Dollar

9 posts in this topic

The name Gobrecht is as meaningful to pattern collectors as it is to collectors of regular issue Seated coinage. The coin that begat these parallel Liberty Seated worlds is the 1836 Judd 60 Gobrecht dollar which is considered by many to be a regular issue coin even though it is listed in various pattern reference books. The Gobrecht Dollar served as the starting point for a tremendous number of patterns.

J60.jpgJ60rev.jpg

The Liberty Seated design, in one form or another, has been represented on United States coinage from the half dime to the silver dollar. Barber’s famous Amazonian design, as well as the Paquet design J-235 half dollar, the 1863 regular dies J-338 half dollar, the Longacre Indian Princess J-1098 quarter and Liberty at the Seashore J-1468 dollar provide a relatively illustrative sample of Liberty Seated patterns struck during the 19th century.

J1468obvpc.jpg

Many of these patterns were never adopted for general circulation. What about a Gobrecht Cent? Variations in Gobrecht’s obverse and reverse designs appeared regularly on pattern coinage from 1838 until 1876. Several patterns were struck in 1854 to assist in determining possible obverses for a new one cent coin, including the J-156 to J-159 Liberty Seated patterns and J-163 to J-165b Flying Eagle patterns. Each design was struck in more than one composition. Two different Flying Eagle patterns were struck, each represented in copper and in bronze, the main difference between them being the size of the laurel wreath on the reverse. These patterns were still approximately the size of a large cent. More were struck in 1855 and 1856.

J167.jpg

The 1856 Flying Eagle Cent is another offshoot of a Gobrecht’s design that is known to many as the Judd 180 pattern, but many pattern experts consider it to be a regular issue coin because it was struck in proof and as a business strike. Flying Eagle patterns were struck again in 1857, though they were regular dies trial pieces. The Flying Eagle design last made an appearance in 1858, both on regular issue cents and on patterns. Some of the patterns feature an eagle with a crooked neck, which is relatively unattractive (e.g. J-204).

J205.jpg

Hi Rick,

Sorry that I wasn't more clear, but I think it would be more interesting to round out the educational context surrounding the Gob coinage design by mentioning Hughes, Peale and Sully as well. (Yes, I know I didn't mention the latter two.)

In case you didn't know, I am a huge fan of the Seated series. And, to say I am not a huge fan of the Barbers would be an understatement to say the least. Perhaps part-n-parcel of my affection for one over the other is my dislike of the Barbers (the father/son duo).

If memory serves, the Barbers weren't so good to Paquet and Longacre either!

EVP

PS Nice thread. Really!

Nice post, Rick. This type of information is very important as I believe most people are not exposed to it and have little appreciation for it. As for the folks mentioned and not mentioned; I always thought that Peale was the most overlooked. I like your images, too! smile.gif

This is my first post. This is an absolutely beautiful coin. It looks like the PCGS AU 50 coin in the upcoming, September 14, 2003, Bowers Sale, Lot # 379, and assuredly the start of the Pattern Dollars. I can only assume its a J-60.

Its a type coin extrondinaire. I'm green with patina !! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Rick - Thanks for the snippet of education on patterns. Your posts on pattern coinage are always are fascinating, as EVP's are always on seated material. Great info and not what we are typically exposed to.

Rick Bagg and ANR just sent me a signed copy of the new United States Pattern Coins and Experimental Trial Pieces - I look forward to learning about this unaffordable (for me blush.gif) series! (What a great bunch of folks ANR is smile.gif).

Welcome Mike Hayes!

Hoot

Thanks for all the nice feedback. Yes, Mike, this is a J-60, struck in or around March of 1837. Hoot, that's great about the Judd book. I can't get enough of patterns, myself. I agree that the people at ANR are the best. If anyone is at Long Beach in September, stop by my table, say hi, and we'll talk patterns.